6 Replies - 1279 Views - Last Post: 08 March 2013 - 03:16 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Do I need a license to make a game?

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

This is going to be a fun project for me. I want to make a HTML5 monopoly deal game and host it in my site. Do I need a license to make the game since monopoly deal exist on the internet already?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Do I need a license to make a game?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Do I need a license to make a game?

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:51 PM

Companies like Hasbro tend to get a bit touchie when folks use their IP and copyrighted item.s

Example:
http://www.legalzoom...oes-it-infringe

So - parody, sure.. just not too closely.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:11 PM

I am not a lawyer. If you want legal advice, pay for it.

That being said, here's my barroom lawyer advice:
If you want to make it for your own purposes, you shouldn't have any trouble. If you put it up on your server and play with your friends, you're probably not going to have a lot of trouble - copyright owner might tell you to take it down or else, but that's about it.

Don't make any money on it until you've consulted a lawyer and got specific indications of what constitutes infringement.

Basically, if you fly under the radar you should be okay, but if anyone notices you then the copyright owner will notice you, and then they have to take action.
One reason for this is just trademark protection: if they don't defend their trademarks, they lose them. So even if they don't care about your game, they have to smack you or else their game starts becoming a generic term.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:20 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 08 March 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

I am not a lawyer. If you want legal advice, pay for it.

That being said, here's my barroom lawyer advice:
If you want to make it for your own purposes, you shouldn't have any trouble. If you put it up on your server and play with your friends, you're probably not going to have a lot of trouble - copyright owner might tell you to take it down or else, but that's about it.

Don't make any money on it until you've consulted a lawyer and got specific indications of what constitutes infringement.

Basically, if you fly under the radar you should be okay, but if anyone notices you then the copyright owner will notice you, and then they have to take action.
One reason for this is just trademark protection: if they don't defend their trademarks, they lose them. So even if they don't care about your game, they have to smack you or else their game starts becoming a generic term.

Thank you! I think this is what I'm looking for. I was planning to make it and play among my friends only. I guess as long as I make it private on my server, it's safe to do so.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:20 PM

(totally not contacting Hasbro to see if they pay a fee for IP theft bounties) ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:33 PM

(totally pointing out again that I'm not a lawyer and the ass in the sling will not be mine if I'm wrong)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

I never advise breaching copyright in any way or form. You are asking for jail and/or a heavy fine that you may never be able to pay off for the rest of your life.

Make a game that is sufficiently different from Monopoly so that it is clearly distinguishable from the original and cannot be proven to be a copy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1