7 Replies - 840 Views - Last Post: 11 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Hello Everyone

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:13 PM

Hi, my name is Ben. I've had many different and successful experiences in coding, but they are usually short. I joined this site because I am about to start on my biggest coding project yet and I'm hoping to get a few pointers. My first big issue is what language to use. I am open to using any language b/c I don't know any single one terribly well. Also where should I post a question about the best language to use for my project's requirements.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hello Everyone

#2 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hello Everyone

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

If you've tried a couple of languages, pick the one that you've liked the most and work on that, and only that, until you know it well enough to make some non-trivial project.
You really need to have something to serve as a foundation before you start adding on.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

I'm not really attached to any language I have used so far. I do remember not being a big fan of Java, but I think that was mostly b/c of how rushed we were to get through it. It ended up being an exercise in typing more than coding.

As far as getting a foundation first, I agree that it's a good idea. However, that isn't really how I function. I prefer to stumble and learn as I go.

I am looking for only a few things:

>GUI - My understanding is that you can do this in most if not all languages, but the difficulty may vary.
>Complex math (Imaginary numbers and Matricies) - This is the biggest hurdle in my mind because I would really like to have it built in, in some way. I don't really want to build these functions, but I will if I have to. My impression so far is that I could probably use something someone already built or I would have to go to something dedicated to math, like Maple or MatLab, but they are expensive and feel like overkill.
>Graphing - I think this goes in hand with the GUI and shouldn't be an issue, but please correct me if I am wrong.
>User/support base - The bigger the user base the better in my experience, but I think this would probably only be an issue if I was using an obscure language.

At the moment I am leaning towards C# because of the access to .net which sounds cool for making all sorts of pre-built stuff available, but I'm not sure I really need that.

Anyways what are your thoughts?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

You want GUI, graphing, user base?
Basically, you've eliminated ML at this point. :)

Python is sounding like it might be what you're looking for. There's definitely support for GUI and graphing, and while I haven't played with the math libraries I'd be surprised if you couldn't get good support forcomplex math

It's also pretty well supported, both at the official site and in the user community.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:24 PM

Lol, ya. ML is also expensive.

Thanks for the Python suggestion. I kind of overlooked it for some reason. I guess I'll have to take a closer look at it.

Any other suggestions or thoughts out there?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:47 PM

ML? Expensive?

Are we talking about the same language?

I'm talking about, for example, SML/NJ or OCaml. Not that their being free makes them any better suited to your needs, but they're free.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:11 PM

I think he thought ML = Matlab.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

Ah, okay. No, not that. Metalanguage. A non-lisp functional language, very interesting but very creaky syntax. Favored by many academics. Basis for Scala's syntax, though Scala seems to have a better take on the ideas.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1