3 Replies - 1203 Views - Last Post: 12 March 2013 - 09:44 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Novice inquiry:Webpage screen w/monthly or yearly columns for fin stmt

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:43 PM

I am personally not a developer. However, I am leading an application project from the business user design perspective. As a result, I am not sure which forum or forums this would best to post a question to, and guidance on that is certainly appreciated, but I selected this forum. I know the developer we are considering working with is using ASP.NET along with jQuery and ADO.Net.

Anyway, my question is, we were hoping to developing an input screen for financial statement line items (such as monthly revenue, monthly cash balances, etc.) that would appear as rows, with an input box for the current months data, and then alongside those input boxes would be one or more columns (i.e. by "columns" I mean visually on a grid/matrix chart like a column in an Excel spreadsheet) containing the same monthly data for prior months (and or sums of multiple months) drawn from fields previously input (or calculated) and saved in the database.

The developer we are talking with has come up with a tools that allows a next best solution in which the months appear as rows and the line items like revenue are columns. However, he is not aware of any tools allowing the webpage layout the original way I described which is simply inverted. I believe this developer is highly knowledgeable and experienced, but even people like that do not always know of everything out there, and given that plus my curiosity to learn knew things, enjoyment of research, the challenge, and ultimately the preference for having it set up the way we like, I figured that I would take a shot in the dark and ask if anyone either knows of a potentially suitable tool or solution, or if anyone might be able to point me in the right direction of someone else who might know where I can look.

Thanks in advance for any help and guidance and I appreciate your time in looking over my novice question.

Best regards

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Novice inquiry:Webpage screen w/monthly or yearly columns for fin stmt

• Your Friendly Local Curmudgeon
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Novice inquiry:Webpage screen w/monthly or yearly columns for fin stmt

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:59 PM

This strikes me as fairly easy to implement using jQuery datatables. If you give a more exact list of what you want for one row, say monthly revenue, we might be able to give you a clearer explanation of how to do it. That failing, you might want to move this to the jQuery forum. The issue at hand doesn't involve ASP.Net, ADO.Net or whatever; those are on the back end and your question concerns the front end.

Given that you are the UI designer, I would strongly suggest that you research far enough to determine for yourself whether what you want can be done with your development platform. You don't need developers radically redesigning your ideas in terms of what is easier for them unless your idea simply isn't feasible from a technical standpoint.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:11 PM

A properly designed schema for the data you described would have a row for the current month and rows for each of the past months. Using columns would be the incorrect way of storing the data in a normalized manner.

The issue is that the developer is aiming to do the least amount of work, and so is planning on using a DataGrid which tends to map directly to database tables.

If you are willing to pay him for extra time and effort, he would potentially get the UI that you want with judicious use of the Repeater control and/or some custom user controls. Basically, he'll have to reinvent the DataGrid control from scratch to incorporate having a Repeater control to be used for the columns as well as the rows. It's a non-trivial amount of work, that requires some serious thought. What are the appropriate column headers on the UI if on row 1 the columns are current, 1 month ago, 2 months ago, 3 months ago, while on row 2, the columns are current, 3 months ago, 6 months ago, 9 months ago, and aggregate of the past 5 years? What happens when somebody changes the values in a textbox representing an aggregate? Does it delete the data that built up the aggregate and just save the new value? Or does it divide the new value by the number of items that built up the aggregate and change all the items?

If you've got the money and are willing to wait for the results, then I say pay him and wait because it seems more important to you to have the format that you want, than to have the product sooner and cheaper.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Your Friendly Local Curmudgeon
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:44 PM

Cheaper, better, faster...pick two. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -