5 Replies - 1062 Views - Last Post: 17 March 2013 - 06:33 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

My web site looks different in firefox and internet explorer?

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:46 PM

I am still a noob at creating web pages, not to noobish to the point where I do not understand what I created. But I finished my web site and I used HTML5 and CSS3 to create my web site using just notepad. From the time creating my web site I only viewed it in Google chrome because that is my preferred browser. However after uploading my web site to a web host I decided to view it in FireFox and Internet explorer just to test it out and now everything appears to the left side instead of the center. It does not look messed up at all it just displays the entire layout to the left side while everything else inside the layouts are centered.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: My web site looks different in firefox and internet explorer?

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: My web site looks different in firefox and internet explorer?

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:55 PM

Different default rulesets. Validate your CSS and make sure your code is up to snuff, that takes care of a number of these issues. Look into CSS resets beyond that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:23 PM

You'll come to find out that cross-browser compatibility is one of the biggest challenges with design these days, and when you're talking about CSS3 which to my knowledge isn't considered a 'standard' as of yet, not all browsers will support every tag even.

With pre-CSS3 CSS, you'll even need to take into account a few items will need to be prefixed with -moz or -webkit to get the effects to transpose. Once you know what you want to happen though, the answers are usually plentiful through searches.

IMO I like to build with Firefox given it's somewhere in between how lenient Chrome is and how strict IE can sometimes be when working with CSS, expect others such as Safari and Opera to have their hang-ups as well. I've been asked more times than I can count why I have so many webbrowsers on my desktop, usually it's as easy as telling them the answer is obvious once you're using your computer for something other than facebook :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:30 PM

In my experience as a developer, any web page/site needs to be cross browser-ified. Reason being is that not everyone uses your version/type of browser (Like some older folk still use IE6...ew.)

But not always you going to get everything fixed in cross browsering. Like Lemur said, the CSS is usually the first stop. If you get most of that, then that's over 3/4 of the battle right there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

View PostBackSlashx00, on 10 March 2013 - 08:46 PM, said:

It does not look messed up at all it just displays the entire layout to the left side while everything else inside the layouts are centered.

The code, trimmed down to the relevant parts and preferably in one code block, or a link would be handy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:33 AM

The visionary response would be: Does your website suck in IE?, good maybe then people will stop using that piece of garbage

The for now realistic response: You need to learn a second set of CSS srry bro
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1