8 Replies - 1700 Views - Last Post: 22 March 2013 - 04:37 PM Rate Topic: -----

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Game Clichés...

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:52 PM

I was reading the list of RPG cliche's and found myself laughing more frequently than expected. (Damn you #14 - all main PCs are kleptos). This lead to thoughts of other game genre cliches... does anyone have a few they really hate or really like? When sketching out a game do you take these cliches as something to play towards or try and avoid?

A few that bug me:
- if an FPS starts you out with the majority of the guns in the game you will lose them in the first 30 minutes (after catching a glimps of the best weapon).
- if a racing game doesn't simulate car damage, not washing your car significantly slows you down.
- in FPS, the florescent lights back up emergency mode is intermittent blinking.
- after an attack science labs have emergency escapes other than the most dank, dark, and enemy infested pit in the basement.

The Grand List Of Console Role Playing Game Clichés

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 3
  • +

Replies To: Game Clichés...

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Game Clichés...

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

I always found the following a little annoying:

"My character can withstand bullets, bisection, being burnt alive, etc in combat without dying. In the event that the character DOES die in combat, I can resurrect them. Said character can be rendered perma-dead by a much less vicious or fatal attack, as long as it happens in a cutscene."
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:29 AM

The most over used clichés (not so much anymore) would probably be you can get shot, jump off buildings/houses/mountains/space, Crash at 100km/ph, stabbed, have an arm chopped and the one i found most funny breathe is space yet survive but the second you touch a body of water or jump off a small incline off map you die (halo being a prime example) just lazy imo. Now to me the most annoying one (Mch like last comment) would be winning in boss/miniboss fight where he is all angry and wants to kill you bla bla yet even if you havent even been hurt yet cutscene happens bam he suddenly decide the he was winning/wasnt badly losing and somehow over powers you or is standing there fine. This is another thing that i feel ruins the atmosphere of some great games it wouldnt be MASSIVELY complicated to have lets say 3 different cutscenes (something i thought would happen in Mass effect 3).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:24 AM

I think that cliche's are okay unless you want to make something really unique. Cliches should be used.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:15 AM

All females must have ENORMOUS breasts :bananaman:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

The player is always the only person in the game capable of doing anything; the player must tell others how to tie their own shoelaces.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:10 PM

Name a hero Ryu.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:28 PM

In an FPS every character can carry more of, and switch to, any weapon in an instant which would be impossible in real life. Oh, exploding barrels too!

In fighting games a kick is only marginally more powerful than a punch. Most fighters have some kind of projectile attack that completely ignore Newton's Laws of Motion. When these projectiles hit they sound like a punch for some reason.

For games with AI hunting you down, if you run fast enough in front them they will enter an 'alert state' and wonder of they saw anything, suggesting they have no vivid short-term memory.

I could go on.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:37 PM

If you commit a crime, the entire planet is instantly aware of said crime
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +