4 Replies - 830 Views - Last Post: 12 March 2013 - 06:03 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Hello All~

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:00 PM

Hello, my name is Alyssa and I am new to programming. I really want to get into programming. I've always had the interest and have taken a class on some basic Java and know basic html. However, I want to start getting serious about programming. I haven't done anything outside of my classes so I am going to start now with the help of this site of course! I am not really sure what I should be doing to practice, but I guess I should start off just programming programs that I am interested in doing! I hope to see you around!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hello All~

• Rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hello All~

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:48 PM

Welcome to the site! It's goo that you're interested in learning things outside of just you classes, that kind of attitude will help you a lot in programming. :) As far as what you should do for practice, you are correct that you should start coding. There are so many things that you only come across when coding that will teach you a lot that you need to know and the more experience you have actually writing code, the better. Aside from that, never stop learning new things. Keep reading tutorials and books, anything to expand your knowledge. Even if the subject is something you don't even plan on doing, or it's shown in another language other then the one your learning. Often you'll learn things there, or find a new way of thinking about something that will carry over and help you become better at coding in general.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:24 AM

Welcome Alyssa, and definitely what Aaron said, it's always nice to see new coders with more in mind than completing projects without having to put forth effort. Feel free to ask those questions, it helps everyone else to see the feedback we generate here and learn also, just expect a nudge more than someone fixing your code, having to push your mind to overcome problems are 90% the fun of programming! Hope you enjoy the community as much as I have ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:04 PM

Welcome!

As the other two have said, it's good to see new coders coming about. Coding (at least from what I have done) is a very "hands on" type deal. Basically the way to learn it is by doing it.

Read some tutorials here and get started!
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:03 PM

Thank you all for the warm welcome! Thanks for the advice as well! I will definitely read books and tutorial. I want to learn more than what they are teaching us in class!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1