Should I make the switch from Windoze to Linux?

• (3 Pages)
  • +

37 Replies - 4641 Views - Last Post: 11 May 2013 - 01:10 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Should I make the switch from Windoze to Linux?

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:20 PM

I might receive flame from Windows users, but I tried Linux a little while back and wasn't too sure. I was thinking about trying out Slackware. Your thoughts?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Should I make the switch from Windoze to Linux?

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Should I make the switch from Windoze to Linux?

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:30 PM

POPULAR

If you have to ask then no. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 13
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:49 PM

I'm with stackoverflow on this one.. Sort of..

First, slackware is not for someone new to linux. Sure, if you have a spare computer lying around and want to learn it from the bare bone, then by all means, you will be able to find plenty of tutorials on the internet to get you on your way.

Second, 'Switch' is a strong term in making the change, if you nix your entire windows partition and install linux, odds are good you will soon get frustrated and be reinstalling windows very soon. If you're interested in experimenting and learning about linux, see 'Third'.

Third, if you're working with just one computer and are completely new to linux itself (command prompt doesn't count), check out Ubuntu as it comes with a pretty fancy installer/Wubi (Will run beside windows without actually having to partition your drive or hard install anything so you can play a bit before losing any windows stuff, as well as a great new linux user community and tons of documentation for about anything you can dream up. The package manager (software installer software) functions much like windows installers/app markets do, and it comes with a generally easy to navigate user interface which will greatly ease your transition into linux.

Finally, if you install slackware, your next step is to get your network card running (ubuntu and some others do this automatically), then download packages for a GUI (you'll need to do both of these from the command line, and if you nix your windows computer, you'll need another way to start googling for things), once you get gnome or kde set up and configured, you'll have something that looks like a windows 3.1 desktop and need to find your direction from there. Dont get me wrong, slackware and arch linux are praised for their installation customization ability and stability I guess you could say, but without a good foundation in linux, you're going to be turned off from linux in general as soon as you drop your windows partition and see a blinking underscore on the screen.

Keep in mind, the installers for nearly every linux distro have gotten better since I last put my hands on them I'm sure, but for you to be a new linux user, I can't stress how strongly I recommend downloading a copy of Ubuntu (Wubi install is at bottom of download page) and double-click the icon then play with linux a bit to see what it's all about as opposed to diving straight into a 'switch' scenario. Wubi provides options for 'use me now' and 'install to harddisk', and from there it will help a great bit more than some other distros as far as installing 'beside windows' goes, which I think will give you a ton more freedom to play with it as you like, but still have your windows where you can get things done that you want to do without a tutorial.

Bottom line, watch some videos, try Wubi, read some, then read some more, and make the switch when you're sure you have the foundation necessary to 'do what you want to get done' on linux before nixxing your windows all together. Hope this helps.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

Alternatively, grab a VM like VirtualBox for free and install various Linux distros in a VM inside Windows so you don't destroy everything while you experiment with different OSes. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• sudo pacman -S moneyz

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:32 AM

It depends on what you use your machine for most. If you play a lot of games then you're probably best sticking with Windows.

Another route is if you have a spare hard drive, you can install a distro on a completely separate drive from Windows and have the best of both worlds. If you set the linux drive as the main boot drive in BIOS, then grub will still have detected Windows and you can choose which to boot from your standard grub menu.

My box has a 500gb Windows 7 drive for games/photoshop, and a 320gb drive (cost about 25) running arch for everything else.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:38 AM

I've been using linux for over 10 years now.

And I still have Windows.

I don't know what you use your computer for OP, but I'm betting if you're hanging out on a dev forum, it's probably for dev.

Linux is great, I love it, but sadly we live in a world that does not target linux for just about anything.

I agree with stackoverflow, vm is the way to go, personally I use virtualbox as it's simple to set up and use. And if you find out you love it, you can even turn it around, install some linux distro, put virtualbox on there, and run windows in virtual machines to get at what you need there (of course this limits your gaming abilities as vm's aren't the best at graphics virtualization).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:20 AM

Go for it. I have been running kubuntu for years. I am not a pc gamer or a .net developer, so I have no use for windows. I don't miss it one bit, an I do not want to go back. Linux is less frustrating.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:24 AM

What is it you're trying to achieve by switching? I mean, I know what I like about linux, but what is it you're trying to get out of this?

It's hard to give you good advice if we don't know what you're trying to accomplish.

This post has been edited by jon.kiparsky: 12 March 2013 - 07:24 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:03 AM

POPULAR

In my lounge opinion, if you use the term 'Windoze' then you should be forced to use the Java OS for six months followed up by four nights in Camp Chippewa's Harmony Hut.
Was This Post Helpful? 9
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:16 AM

if you spell it 'windoze' then you should do it just so you only look 90% retarded.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:31 AM

Yeah, I probably should not have been so derogatory about it. I use my machine for gaming and developing. I know Linux has Wine but Windows is better known for gaming capabilities. Another thing my USB network adapter is a Netgear WNA3100 and unfortunately I hear it is nearly impossible getting Linux to recognize it, correct me if I am wrong. I have used ndiswrapper but to no avail
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:32 AM

Windoze. Linsux. BlowSX. Man, I'm cool.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#13 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

If you want to play games, use Windows. If you want to do work, use linux.

Simple, no?
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#14 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:39 AM

Another thing my USB network adapter is a Netgear WNA3100 and unfortunately I hear it is nearly impossible getting Linux to recognize it, correct me if I am wrong. I have used ndiswrapper but to no avail

Welcome to linux and being empowered to go write your own driver.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

#15 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:41 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 12 March 2013 - 10:39 AM, said:

Welcome to linux and being empowered to go write your own driver.

These days, it's more like "check back next week and see that someone else had the same problem and fixed it", but yeah.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +