5 Replies - 1817 Views - Last Post: 12 March 2013 - 06:52 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Should I post about my Java, libGDX experiences?

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:22 AM

Intro
I am an experienced web developer so have a decent understanding of many technologies and system analysis but when it comes to game development I am a complete newbie, at some point most developers must consider making a game?

Plan
Anyway I thought it was about time I gave it a go, like many newbies before me I have chosen a top down tiled map shooter/RPG, I am using Java, libGDX, tiled map editor and Google to get me through this.

Question
My question is would anyone be interested in me posting about my journey, it could be in a tutorial format with people not just learning with me but telling me where I am going wrong etc.

Ideas
I have decided to use Map Editor to create my levels, I am considering creating a huge list of in game objects that can be accessed via an object layer, so kind of making a simple game engine, you could for example place an object on the map called "Chest" with parameters, locked=true/false, when the map loads all these objects are read in and appear in the game.

Another object would be "Warp" with parameter levelname = "map01", colliding with this object would load map01.

Where I am
So far I have a basic working demo that has no enemies but does have:

• Main Character
  • Shooting
  • Movement
  • Collisions
  • Level Changing
  • Animated Sprites

I know the art work is off CataCombsSnatch, art will come much later:

Posted Image

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Should I post about my Java, libGDX experiences?

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Should I post about my Java, libGDX experiences?

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:32 AM

Well, as a member of DIC you can create your own development blog for publishing on the site.

Regarding your web game development, I would take more time experimenting with the available tools, you programming skill, and maybe a more simple game for your initial project.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:58 AM

Thanks for the reply, was unaware that I can start a blog. That seems the perfect format for this.

With regards to the project idea I think its already very simple, I have already produced Flash games (when Flash was MX) and many plugins for Bukkit Minecraft

I would be open to trying other available tools, would you suggest any?

I did write the basic concept in XNA Game Studio 4 but did not see any future in releasing an XBOX or windows only game and with Google using libGDX for their new augmented reality game I thought I could not go far wrong with it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:15 AM

I've never made web games so can't really suggest any other tools. You will have a better idea. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:21 AM

Thanks, I will get started on my first blog entry tomorrow.

Where I struggle most is the mathematics for games, I'm finding I have to revisit the things I learn a long time ago, like basic trig for example, its all fun though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:52 AM

No problem. The general topic to look into thoroughly in terms of graphics will be 'affine transformations'. Pretty much the little toolbox of knowledge you will need to get by well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1