• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Tired and Sick of Programming?

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:28 AM

Maybe it is vacation time-- just saying
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:41 AM

MAYBE IT'S TIME TO GET INTO REAL ESTATE
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

#33 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

I prefer the timeshare market. It's is ever green!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:16 AM

POPULAR

32 replies to some guy throwing his own pity party? Seriously?

Dude, you're 37, not 80. If you're not happy, get off your ass and do something about it. Otherwise, STFU.
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

#35 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:43 AM

Even if you're 80, change nursing homes or chase those damn whipper snappers off your lawn! Maybe it's just time for a new pair of depends or some prune juice.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:47 AM

20 years a coder? Horrors! You're absolutely right! Fuck being employed for 2 freakin' decades doing one of the higher paying, creative and low labor jobs on the planet. You should throw down that keyboard right this instant and go pick up a shovel and walk to the mine!

Posted Image
You even already have a theme song!

I'm 46. Been doing this going on 15 years or so now. Does it get tedious? Sure. Does it get monotonous? Absolutely. However, it's not who I am. It's just what I do to pay the bills and feed my family. Unless you can figure out retroactively how to be born into wealth so you grow up comfortable and idle, you pretty much have to work for a living and being paid to write code is one of the easier jobs you can do.

If manual labor or some other kind of desk job would make you happy, by all means grab that with both hands. But figure out what makes you happy first would be my advice.

Good luck with that.

This post has been edited by Craig328: 13 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

View Postdiebythesword76, on 13 March 2013 - 06:19 AM, said:

View PostNovember-06, on 12 March 2013 - 10:25 PM, said:

20 years? Then you have reached a point of no return.

When I talk about freelancing it specifically refers to my own company, I have a small team of coders who are overseas and we code for customers around the world; I know, I think one of the things I will become one day would be just that: A project manager, I am already doing that role in parallel with an active main coder role

I don't hate programming, not in a way I couldn't even touch a keyboard again. I just have to live with the fact that I got bored of it, considering the 7 items I exposed earlier. One of the things I 'assume' it will improve this feeling will be going through an own project, something I do without expecting anything else than the fun doing it. I I thought creating a propietary file format. Any ideas?

Janitor? How the hell could I become a janitor?

You're thinking about it all wrong. If you do not want to code, then don't. There are plenty of people who will, most for a lot less than you're probably paying yourself. If I were in your position, the last thing I would be doing is touching one line of code. My entire days would be filled with managing the business and finding others to do the work for me. If you have an established business and clients, you're pissing away a huge opportunity by even wasting one minute of your time writing code.

This post has been edited by farrell2k: 13 March 2013 - 06:43 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:34 PM

I think we are going out of subject, or at least what I tried to explain wasn't fully understood. This is not about senseless rant about the profession I've choosen or other coders choosen, not about feeling pity for myself, not about being negative just for the hell of it. It's about what's required nowadays to work in this field, what's in fact expected from you. It's not about monotony either, which is implied on every job. Humans tend to be repetitive

I will put an example that clarifies this. Say you work in a big mobile company, which is undoubtbly tje field that changes faster than anything else in this industry. Say you work there since 9 years, specifically in the software field on that company. Now, what were phones all about 9 years ago? Just that: PHONES. As a miracle of science, the phone could do some limited text messaging. And that's all you could find in a software of a mobile phone back in 2004, maybe a small Contacts module. Doing such software was nothing compared to the complexities current software developers face in current mobile development; now what else besides picking up calls and text messaging do have to do current mobile devices? Those features plus 20 times features and I bet the same sallary, not 20 times the sallary

Now do you call this evolution? I call it a tendency of feeding the unncesary consumism spiral

That's the whole point, the 20 times amount of work required by the programmer who has two options: Take it or leave it, accept that you have to work x 20 or stay out of the game since will be a desperate 22 year old kid wanting to be in your position doing that software. Now there's more, you can stay there on that company because you simply have no option, a house to pay and 3 kids to feed, and be TOTALLY contrary to have to do your work 20 times of what you worked only 9 years ago, dealing with more and more and more and more complex software, in a neverending ascending spiral

That's what I am trying to expose, the unnecesary extra complexities added if you want to stay in this profession, simply because the trend is giving the best possible experience to the user even if this means working 20 times more, on the everyday basis, and slavery, stress, worrying to the employees

That's what I am questioning, the burden you have to carry just because what's around you unnecesary changes every month upon the desires of third-parties, of a monster called technology. Because well, we would still be happy having phones that just do pick up calls and that eventually can text message other phones
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#39 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:39 PM

It's about what's required nowadays to work in this field, what's in fact expected from you. It's not about monotony either, which is implied on every job. Humans tend to be repetitive

What job doesn't have an expectation of change? Lawyers have new laws, architects have continuing education to keep a license, teachers have continuing education to keep up their skills, actors have new roles/methods/CGI/etc... *EVERYONE* has to keep it up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:48 PM

diebythesword, you fail to understand that we all understand very well what you're talking about. We know that this shit changes, that it changes very quickly, and not always for the better.

We just aren't so myopic in thinking that this means change is bad and thusly criticize it.

If it weren't for change in technology you wouldn't have this damn forum to come to and bitch about change on.

Shut your trap.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:05 PM

I don't know if you thought you'd come in here, with nobody knowing anything about you, and we'd all line up and agree that our chosen field sucks, but it should be obvious that that's not gonna happen. Sure, we bitch about our jobs, but generally not the intrinsic properties of our industry. Most of us are fascinated by the ever-growing list of things we can accomplish at our keyboards, not dejected by it. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that if you're not interested in figuring new things out, then you are definitely in need of a career change. Programming is about discovery, solving puzzles, problem solving; not about finding the best way to do something and then screaming at anyone who tries to touch our precious. You're right: if you refuse to do shit, someone else will come along and offer to do it. Not because they suck, but because you do. I get burnout, I've been there. Not in this career, but in my previous one. It happens. Here's a straw: suck it up.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

maybe you should just check out the fitness thread and burn some frustration off.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#43 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:38 PM

View Postsupersloth, on 13 March 2013 - 05:26 PM, said:

maybe you should just check out the fitness thread and relieve some stress.

Furiously?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#44 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:46 PM

Well not *TOO* furiously.. I mean let's be honest.. this guy/gal is 37.. THIRTY SEVEN! That's like.. totally one foot in the grave and the other half in so let's keep that heart rate normal. On the other hand we don't want to peter out the furious force and he is never satisfied and dies of old age... so balance folks!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:02 PM

So, are you suggesting he do it... at a medium pace?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »