8 Replies - 3056 Views - Last Post: 17 May 2013 - 03:47 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

New to programming

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:13 AM

Hi users of dreamincode,

I'm quite new to programming although I have some basic knowledge of html, upon my first visit to this site I stumbled across ButchDean's post - I want to program as a career. I thoroughly read through his article and made some notes for future reference, although this article gave me a rough idea on what I should be looking at it didn't help to give me a rough idea on where to start.

So I am posting this topic, to see if anybody could help me on where a good idea would be start.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: New to programming

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: New to programming

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:17 AM

Start... where? In C++ or what? I mean there's many starting places.. colleges, universities, online classes, tutorials, etc. You need to be a bit more specific.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:21 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 13 March 2013 - 10:17 AM, said:

Start... where? In C++ or what? I mean there's many starting places.. colleges, universities, online classes, tutorials, etc. You need to be a bit more specific.

Well I live in the UK and theres no colleges that teach programming in depth in my area, would you recommend C++ to start off with?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:49 AM

... I don't really know what I should recommend outside of moving this out of the C++ forum.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:01 AM

What do you want to make?

I know you said you want to be a career programmer but what do you want to make?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Your Friendly Local Curmudgeon
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:43 PM

Whatever you want to make, start by familiarizing yourself with programming concepts. The actual language you use is less important than understanding the difference between a do while and a for next loop and when to use which, for example. All of those concepts are transferable from language to language, and the business is full of people who don't understand them. So if you do, you already have a leg up.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:25 PM

Listen to Bob. Learn to write good code in some language, any language. If it's not the right language, at least you'll be learning something. What makes good style might vary from one language to another (ie, variable naming conventions) but what makes good code is pretty constant. So get solid on something and then learn something else, and keep going.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:09 PM

depends on the language you are wanting to study really there's a few different points to start
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:47 AM

Hey! Up until last year before I came to uni, I had no prior knowledge of any languages past the 'Hello World' chapter of many books. My advice is that if you have no access to formal education, buy a decent book and get involved with an online community such as this site. In regards to which language, I don't think it makes that much of a difference. Syntax will be different but ways of thinking and using the code will be similar.

There will be, for lack of a better phrase; a 'mental wall' that you will have to get past before programming will become easier and you wont have to think about syntax as much.

But I'm hardly a professional, this is just advice from a student learning the trade :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1