3 Replies - 1963 Views - Last Post: 24 March 2013 - 07:26 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Do computer certifications really help in finding work?

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:08 AM

I am two semesters short of getting my Associate's in web development and was wondering if I should consider getting working to get an A+ certification. I am going to obtain a BAS but I was hoping to find some entry level programming job after getting said degree. Obviously experience conquers all, and I have been building a website to sort of portfolio any notable work. Thanks for your help.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Do computer certifications really help in finding work?

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Do computer certifications really help in finding work?

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:37 PM

Different parts of the country will be different but from what I've seen from job postings over the first bit of this year, experience doesn't necessarily trump all, from the looks of it, 2 years school is worth 4 years work experience with most of the positions requiring a bachelors to apply. Keep that in mind so you don't get a descent job with your associates and plan on riding that out, definitely keep with the school. As far as certs go, they are mostly just a plus, I dont remember seeing any certs that were required which weren't part of a longer list.

In my experience A+ is a good place to start because it'll get you into the swing of how the testing works without a tremendous amount of effort put into it. Definitely get them if you have the opportunity, but dont let having ten of them be the reason you dont continue with your degree.

Mind you this is coming from Va with generally a moderate amount of tech presence so you will likely get varying degrees of necessity depending on where you're at. Do some searching on monster, indeed, even craigslist and any other job sites that you can find and try to figure out what the employers in your area are looking for, you may get a better idea.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:53 AM

I was reading somewhere that personal projects are pretty much essential, because employers want you to be able to do the job without any real training.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:26 PM

View PostTakk, on 14 March 2013 - 07:37 PM, said:

Different parts of the country will be different but from what I've seen from job postings over the first bit of this year, experience doesn't necessarily trump all, from the looks of it, 2 years school is worth 4 years work experience with most of the positions requiring a bachelors to apply. Keep that in mind so you don't get a descent job with your associates and plan on riding that out, definitely keep with the school. As far as certs go, they are mostly just a plus, I dont remember seeing any certs that were required which weren't part of a longer list.

In my experience A+ is a good place to start because it'll get you into the swing of how the testing works without a tremendous amount of effort put into it. Definitely get them if you have the opportunity, but dont let having ten of them be the reason you dont continue with your degree.

Mind you this is coming from Va with generally a moderate amount of tech presence so you will likely get varying degrees of necessity depending on where you're at. Do some searching on monster, indeed, even craigslist and any other job sites that you can find and try to figure out what the employers in your area are looking for, you may get a better idea.

So, it really does vary from location to location? I ask because I'm trying to figure out whether to pursue a degree or try to gain experience and prove skills using other avenues.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1