8 Replies - 6181 Views - Last Post: 18 March 2013 - 05:15 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How much should I ask for as a salary for a junior software position.

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:23 PM

How much do you think I should ask for in a salary range. I have been at my job currently for 1 year and would like to look for a junior software developer position with a team of like minded individuals after I finish my degree.

Education
BA computer science completion dec 2013
training in sofware development in C#, .NET, SQL

Current position: I administer and implement network/voip solutions. This is not in my job description but I volunteered my services and created several .Net/c# applications for my current employer which are being used and has boosted productivity. I'm currently making $40k and don't want to short change myself when I start looking for work. Would $60k be reasonable or am I reaching for the stars? Im in NJ/NY area. From the information given how much do you think I'm worth?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How much should I ask for as a salary for a junior software position.

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How much should I ask for as a salary for a junior software position.

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:38 PM

Given your area that seems somewhat reasonable.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

View Postdmar001, on 16 March 2013 - 10:23 PM, said:

How much do you think I should ask for in a salary range. I have been at my job currently for 1 year and would like to look for a junior software developer position with a team of like minded individuals after I finish my degree.

Education
BA computer science completion dec 2013
training in sofware development in C#, .NET, SQL

Current position: I administer and implement network/voip solutions. This is not in my job description but I volunteered my services and created several .Net/c# applications for my current employer which are being used and has boosted productivity. I'm currently making $40k and don't want to short change myself when I start looking for work. Would $60k be reasonable or am I reaching for the stars? Im in NJ/NY area. From the information given how much do you think I'm worth?

My first position was in NY (not NYC) and I was making 80k as a junior. It was also a Microsoft shop. To be specific, I was also in the NY/NJ area. If you want to know any specifics send me a message... you may even be interviewing at the same company.

To be fair, I had a masters degree and I programmed since I was quite young so my "skill" was probably far beyond what they had expected to hire.

This post has been edited by stackoverflow: 16 March 2013 - 06:07 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:10 PM

80k? Was that in your original range? Did you negotiate that or they offered it to you without hesitation?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:11 PM

Compare what is being put out there.. glassdoor.com, salary.com, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:11 PM

View Postdmar001, on 17 March 2013 - 01:10 AM, said:

80k? Was that in your original range? Did you negotiate that or they offered it to you without hesitation?

No, I asked for 95k. They tried 60, 65, 70, 75 and finally settled on 80. I kept pushing them for more (for about 3 days).

PS, if they offer without hesitation then you asked for too little.

This post has been edited by stackoverflow: 16 March 2013 - 06:12 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

Holy sh*t you asked for 95k for a junior position. Whats your programming specialty? What did you say when you wanted more "Thats a great offer but I'm firm with 95k"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:25 PM

View Postdmar001, on 17 March 2013 - 01:14 AM, said:

Holy sh*t you asked for 95k for a junior position. Whats your programming specialty? What did you say when you wanted more "Thats a great offer but I'm firm with 95k"

My specialty? I don't think I really have one. I had never even done Microsoft development prior to the job (no C# or .NET). I was primarily a Linux C, C++ developer. They didn't seem to care because I could clearly learn fast and they knew I would have no problem learning a new language and framework. I had a good track record (my Github account, lots of projects, code, my Android developer account with apps I wrote for fun etc).

My general salary negotiation strategy is to decline their first offer and make an outrageously high offer. Then they will up their offer and I will decline again and offer a slightly lower offer than my outrageous one. They will most likely offer a little more, then I pull out my favorite line. My favorite salary negotiation line is, "This is a large decision and I have to talk to over with my fiancee." Then setup a time to talk again. When I come back I make it clean that "we" have decided it's too low and offer another salary that was lower than the previous one. I keep doing that until they seem to not budge.

That is when I either say "well, I wish you guys luck" or I accept their offer.

PS, I recommend reading this article for any developer:

http://www.kalzumeus...ry-negotiation/

Note: You can also negotiate other benefits/perks/compensation.

This post has been edited by stackoverflow: 16 March 2013 - 06:25 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:15 AM

View Poststackoverflow, on 16 March 2013 - 06:25 PM, said:

My general salary negotiation strategy is to decline their first offer and make an outrageously high offer. Then they will up their offer and I will decline again and offer a slightly lower offer than my outrageous one. They will most likely offer a little more, then I pull out my favorite line. My favorite salary negotiation line is, "This is a large decision and I have to talk to over with my fiancee." Then setup a time to talk again. When I come back I make it clean that "we" have decided it's too low and offer another salary that was lower than the previous one. I keep doing that until they seem to not budge.

That is when I either say "well, I wish you guys luck" or I accept their offer.

PS, I recommend reading this article for any developer:

http://www.kalzumeus...ry-negotiation/

Note: You can also negotiate other benefits/perks/compensation.

I admire your confidence :punk:
I don't think I could do that, because I'm usually hurting bad for a new job when I'm job hunting.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1