14 Replies - 9408 Views - Last Post: 18 March 2013 - 02:21 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How to go about creating a social gaming website?

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:20 PM

Hello all,
I must say that I am new to this forum and also to game development. I am a web developer by profession and I want to create a social gaming site, where people can play games with their friends. But I do not know how to go about doing this. Is there a way I can get multiplayer games on my site? and if I can how much control will I have over these games. I don't even know what to ask, just please tell me what are the possibilities and options do I have to accomplish this. Also I am interested in knowing how Facebook does it, with their games.
Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to go about creating a social gaming website?

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to go about creating a social gaming website?

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:06 PM

Hey.

If it's browser based games you are after, then the obvious choices are either Javascript based games, or Flash based games. (Silverlight and Java apps are also possible, I suppose, if you're into that kind of fringe stuff.)

As for control. With Javascript, all the code must be publicly visible. Otherwise the browsers can't execute them. They can be obfuscated, but that's just a minor inconvenience to anybody who wants to steal or somehow manipulate the code. Flash is a little bit less transparent, but still not exactly bulletproof. It's just best to assume the code will be manipulated and use server-side restrictions to control things.

The way Facebook does things is to allow developers to access APIs that can - with the user's permission - gain them certain level of access to the user's Facebook account. So that if the user agrees, the game can use the Facebook API to do things like read friends lists, do those annoying game requests, and even send out status updates.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:18 PM

Thanks for your reply,

I think I understand what you said, but does this mean that I have to create the games my self using Flash or Javascript. I am a very good backend programmer (server side) and have good knowledge of Javascript. But is there not a service that offers games to developers so they can put on the site.

The problem is that I have no experience in game development. what I want to do is that get good free games that are there on the net and make it so that people can play them with their friends on my site.

In other words what do you suggest I should do. Learn game development? or what else?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:16 PM

The problem is that I have no experience in game development. what I want to do is that get good free games that are there on the net and make it so that people can play them with their friends on my site.

In other words what do you suggest I should do. Learn game development? or what else?

FYI - Coercing people to dump their games on your site and building a game are two different tasks..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:42 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 17 March 2013 - 10:16 PM, said:

FYI - Coercing people to dump their games on your site and building a game are two different tasks..

Exactly, that's what I'm asking. Can I let people dump their games on my site or do I have to build the games my self.
If I can do the prior, what all options do I have?? I understand the Facebook option (the way Facebook does it), but what else? Can I approach Game developers to ask for their games to be put on my site (perhaps for free).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:27 AM

Exactly, that's what I'm asking. Can I let people dump their games on my site

It is your site... do what you want.

or do I have to build the games my self.

If I can do the prior, what all options do I have?? I understand the Facebook option (the way Facebook does it), but what else?

You are not be clear on what you want.. yes.. you have options.. it is your site so you have ALL THE OPTIONS.. I am not even sure what 'options' means in this case. Options of what? Compared to what?

Can I approach Game developers to ask for their games to be put on my site (perhaps for free).

Yes.. yes you can do that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:24 PM

Only small indie game devs will take up your offer of hosting their games. Big names won't.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:52 PM

View PostButchDean, on 18 March 2013 - 12:24 PM, said:

Only small indie game devs will take up your offer of hosting their games. Big names won't.

Thanks. I will really appreciate if you can provide me any links to any places where I can get these indie games? Or those that you would recommend. I tried searching and found few sites but again I would appreciate if you can give me some more detail on this.
Thanks again
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:57 PM

You know it's your business/website plan, right? Isn't that your job to do the legwork?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:04 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 18 March 2013 - 08:27 AM, said:

Yes.. yes you can do that.

I think you do not understand that I have absolutely no experience in creating a gaming website at all, or creating games in general. When I say 'Can I do ... ' I mean to say if it is possible for me to do that given my inexperience. For example when I say 'Can I ask people to dump games on my site' (again, still I have no experience in how gaming websites work), I am actually asking does something like this happen, that means will game developers be able to dumb their games on my website, and given my inexperience with game dev, will I be able to facilitate this.

View Postmodi123_1, on 18 March 2013 - 01:57 PM, said:

You know it's your business/website plan, right? Isn't that your job to do the legwork?

I am sorry that I have to say this, but I think you are a dick or a retard.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:06 PM

Sure.. I know what you are asking. Again the world is your oyster. If you have zero experience can you create a game? Probably not. So go read tutorials and books on game programming. Go through the typical process of learning something new.

As for dumping games on your site - my first question, if it were my game, is *why*? Why would I care to put my game out on a site ran by a guy or gal that has zero web design skills or clue on what (or why) they want to do this, let alone a reason they can differentiate themselves from say armor games or flasharcade.

If you have no experience, and you are asking to doing complex tasks, then the answer is yes.. you will need experience to do them right. There's no short cutting that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:06 PM

View Postsunnyman, on 18 March 2013 - 05:52 PM, said:

View PostButchDean, on 18 March 2013 - 12:24 PM, said:

Thanks. I will really appreciate if you can provide me any links to any places where I can get these indie games? Or those that you would recommend. I tried searching and found few sites but again I would appreciate if you can give me some more detail on this.
Thanks again

By virtue of them being indie they are unlikely to be listed until they have a certain level of success. Where they are listed? There generally isn't a list, because they may be one or more person.

The problem here is that you are looking to accommodate an industry you have no idea about, nor how to approach. You need to take the time out to do research and pinpoint what you can offer that is different from the other hosting sites out there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:11 PM

View Postsunnyman, on 18 March 2013 - 04:04 PM, said:

View Postmodi123_1, on 18 March 2013 - 01:57 PM, said:

I am sorry that I have to say this, but I think you are a dick or a retard.

That's a nice way of putting it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:11 PM

View PostButchDean, on 18 March 2013 - 02:06 PM, said:

By virtue of them being indie they are unlikely to be listed until they have a certain level of success. Where they are listed? There generally isn't a list, because they may be one or more person.

The problem here is that you are looking to accommodate an industry you have no idea about, nor how to approach. You need to take the time out to do research and pinpoint what you can offer that is different from the other hosting sites out there.

Thanks for your input. I understand this whole thing, and what I should do a lot better now.
Thanks!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:21 PM

No problem.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1