11 Replies - 23135 Views - Last Post: 08 April 2013 - 10:47 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Academic path to take for studying virtual reality

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

I intend to study programming in the future, focused on virtual reality. Would I have to study cognitive science, neuroscience, etc, in order to do so? Is programming with AI the most proper degree? What master's would you aim at? How would you proceed?

My life objective is to reach the point when you have a piece of hardware that you'd put on your head, something simple, that would port you to a virtually made reality, transceding all your 5 senses there, meaning you would feel yourself in that world. You would feel, smell, etc. etc. Much like sci-fi movies. :P

I'm having a hard time coming up with answers, since this is an area which requires top-edge technology, hence not so developed.

Thanks in advance!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Academic path to take for studying virtual reality

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Academic path to take for studying virtual reality

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:03 PM

Moved to Student Campus.

Where are you now in your academic career? A CS degree is really where you want to go here, with a focus on graphics and human-computer interaction. This will involve a strong math background as well. Take classes like Multivariable Calculus and Linear Algebra.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:11 PM

I'm still in high school. But I want to start studying now, as for preparation. I want more of a path of programming, but I think to work on this area I might need to study these type of subjects(cognitive science, etc.), as I will be messing with the brain etc.

Do you recommend a study of these areas on the side, while taking the CS degree, and then a master's in Cibernetic's, if that even exists?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:15 PM

Let's focus on getting to college and through undergrad first. A lot of people change majors and burn out after undergrad. You can always re-evaluate once you get a better feel for the options at the graduate level.

If you're in high school, take all the math and programming you can now. Physics is a big plus, too. Cognitive sciences probably couldn't hurt, but this isn't my area of expertise. There is a strong emphasis on math and physics, though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:24 PM

K, cus I'm in economics, so I don't have Physics. However I am currently studying it for the national exams, and it will be ok. Yeah I should probably focus on undergrad now, but I just wanted to get a feel of what I might be doing in the future. But thanks for your time!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

Econ is fun when you delve into it, but it's not really applicable to 3D graphics. I'm not sure how strong your programming background is. If you're fairly proficient, you might consider delving into the basics of 2D graphics. Get a feel for the math and physics behind some basic animations. Go from there. Graphics programming isn't for everyone, especially at the caliber you are talking about doing it at. Feel it out now while you've got a little time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:36 PM

Economy sucks imo. It's highly based on your spirit to either mislead other's or... whatever I'm drifting off here. I have little experience in programming, but I tend to get a lot of ease with it. Currently I know a bit os pascal, vb6, and a little bit of python. Considering on taking a full java course this summer.

On the side-note, doesn't Virtual Reality at the level I'm talking about need a very strong AI? I mean, the world we'll be creating needs to be auto sufficient enough to persist, and I don't see why you mentioned graphics...Sorry if I didn't express my self more clearly!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:25 PM

Economy sucks imo. It's highly based on your spirit to either mislead other's or

Economics is a highly technical field, on par with something like Chemistry or Physics. If you take more economics at the college level, you'll begin to see this, speaking from experience.

Currently I know a bit os pascal, vb6, and a little bit of python. Considering on taking a full java course this summer.

Focus on Python or Java. Pascal is a legacy language, and VB6 is as well.

On the side-note, doesn't Virtual Reality at the level I'm talking about need a very strong AI? I mean, the world we'll be creating needs to be auto sufficient enough to persist, and I don't see why you mentioned graphics

You're not there yet, though, and a VR of that level is a Ph.D level research project. This is certainly not something a high school student just starting programming is going to accomplish. AI in and of itself is complicated enough, as you begin to study it. Delve into Artificial Intelligence with respect to Poker or Chess, and you'll see what I mean. The reason I emphasize graphics is because Virtual Realities have a highly visual component. What if you want to see what's going on in the VR? What about the user's experience? What will they see? How will objects interact? What are the rules? Hence, the math and physics.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:47 PM

Psychology, Philosophy, and a lot of detailed theory in such matters are almost a requirement. If we're talking the realm of Live VRMMO's like something you'd see in Sword Art Online then AI is inevitable. One would think the first step is to understand programming and you just get it. No no, AI is just as much about understanding the human mind as it is about programming.

Want to jump right on that? LISP, or Prolog. I wish you luck if you choose that route though, you'd quit long before you get to anything remotely related to it. For now, focus on clearing a CS degree and realize that school can't teach you everything.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:18 AM

View PostLemur, on 17 March 2013 - 06:47 PM, said:

Psychology, Philosophy, and a lot of detailed theory in such matters are almost a requirement. If we're talking the realm of Live VRMMO's like something you'd see in Sword Art Online then AI is inevitable. One would think the first step is to understand programming and you just get it. No no, AI is just as much about understanding the human mind as it is about programming.

Want to jump right on that? LISP, or Prolog. I wish you luck if you choose that route though, you'd quit long before you get to anything remotely related to it. For now, focus on clearing a CS degree and realize that school can't teach you everything.

Well, I checked that Sword Art Online, and that's precisely what I'm aiming at.
So to conclude, if I get a CS course with an emphasis on AI, that would be the best right? And I have to study psychology, philosophy, cognitive science, and neuroscience on the side, to really be able to understand the human mind.
The thing I fear the most is, if my effort's, which will be off the record, with no credentials, would not be accounted for, if I ever try to enter a big project.

View PostLemur, on 17 March 2013 - 06:47 PM, said:

Well, I checked that Sword Art Online, and that's precisely what I'm aiming at.
So to conclude, if I get a CS course with an emphasis on AI, that would be the best right? And I have to study psychology, philosophy, cognitive science, and neuroscience on the side, to really be able to understand the human mind.
The thing I fear the most is, if my effort's, which will be off the record, with no credentials, would not be accounted for, if I ever try to enter a big project.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:34 AM

View Postsickness272, on 17 March 2013 - 07:01 PM, said:

I intend to study programming in the future, focused on virtual reality. Would I have to study cognitive science, neuroscience, etc, in order to do so? Is programming with AI the most proper degree? What master's would you aim at? How would you proceed?

My life objective is to reach the point when you have a piece of hardware that you'd put on your head, something simple, that would port you to a virtually made reality, transceding all your 5 senses there, meaning you would feel yourself in that world. You would feel, smell, etc. etc. Much like sci-fi movies. :P/>

I'm having a hard time coming up with answers, since this is an area which requires top-edge technology, hence not so developed.

Thanks in advance!

Some of that has been greatly reduced. Oculus Rift

As for this AI bit - why do you think you need that? Graphics, tactile feed back, etc are going to be more important. I mean, at best, you are what - making a MMO that you can 'walk' in?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:47 PM

AI isn't really applicable to VR. VR is about drawing worlds - therefore 3d graphics is the big one, and as others have mentioned, you need maths and physics on top of your CS. Drawing in 3d requires you have to have a good grasp of vector calculus and linear algebra. You work with matrices and transformations. Drawing a world that approaches reality requires physics, so objects in your world can react in a believable manner.

I'm not sure where you are going with all this AI and neuroscience talk.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1