5 Replies - 10343 Views - Last Post: 20 March 2013 - 09:24 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

start programming

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:37 PM

hello every body
i am new in learning java or OOP i wanted to know 2 things :
1/my math is not good because i did not study it since long time so i wanted to know if i will face problems in OOP because of that ???

2/is it important to start with c++ before learning java ? and what is the deffrence between OOP and programming?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: start programming

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: start programming

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:00 AM

1) No more problems due to limited math - a bit fewer problems, but still - math is always a great tool to carry in your toolbox.

2) OOP with C++ or Java, is a class based representative way of approaching a programming solution. It can make a job easier, but it can also make it a nightmare if you're not careful. Both these languages have thrown "everything but the kitchen sink" into them (and probably the sink as well).

Just my amateur opinion, and I'm not a big fan of that class based style of OOP.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:14 AM

1. Programming is actually a form if math. Although you are likely to be able to get by without strong math in most forms of programming, you may find your understanding of complicated problems limited due to weak math skills.

2. Start with the language you are comfy with. Research a few and have a go at solving simple problems using them, but I wouldn't C or C++ as a first language.

OOP is a programming paradigm (a way to facilitate code structure base on a set of rules that are non-language specific). This paradigm offers:

- Encapsulation: Control of how data is shared in terms of visibility such that it is either public, private or protected.

- Inheritance: This provides structure to how class features are shared between parent and child objects.

- Polymorphism: This permits multiple definitions of a class method that can either be overridden or overloaded.

OOP is hugely important for large projects.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:38 PM

View PostButchDean, on 19 March 2013 - 05:14 AM, said:

1. Programming is actually a form if math. Although you are likely to be able to get by without strong math in most forms of programming, you may find your understanding of complicated problems limited due to weak math skills.

2. Start with the language you are comfy with. Research a few and have a go at solving simple problems using them, but I wouldn't C or C++ as a first language.

OOP is a programming paradigm (a way to facilitate code structure base on a set of rules that are non-language specific). This paradigm offers:

- Encapsulation: Control of how data is shared in terms of visibility such that it is either public, private or protected.

- Inheritance: This provides structure to how class features are shared between parent and child objects.

- Polymorphism: This permits multiple definitions of a class method that can either be overridden or overloaded.

OOP is hugely important for large projects.

so if some one study oop or take a degree or certificate in it , is it means that he knows programming generally ??or it means that he should study more things except oop ? ?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:04 AM

View PostM.ALvi, on 20 March 2013 - 01:38 AM, said:

so if some one study oop or take a degree or certificate in it , is it means that he knows programming generally ??or it means that he should study more things except oop ? ?

You probably wouldn't get credentialed in object-oriented programming specifically unless you were already comfortable with the idea of programming generally.

However, there's no reason why you wouldn't learn to program in an object-oriented language from the beginning, in fact these days there are very few popular programming languages which don't have a strong object-oriented component to them. (If I wanted to be mean, I'd say that C++ is one of those few... :) )

There are a few ways to talk to a computer about what you'd like it to do. The simplest to describe, conceptually, is what you might call straight imperative programming. That's basically a situation where you're writing out a series of instructions: set this variable to this value, compare this value to that one and do thing 1 if it's greater or thing 2 otherwise, that sort of thing.

The way object-oriented programming is different from this is just that instead of one big program, you organize your content into objects, and you run the program by passing messages around among those objects. This allows you to model real life more directly in some cases, and more importantly it enforces a certain structure on the code, which can be useful. Ultimately, what this buys you (if you do it right) is a more meaningful dissection of your code, where the pieces that belong together are together, and you can get each section right on its own, without worrying about the interactions with other pieces of the code (ie, it's more modular).

But don't get hung up on labels - go ahead and learn how to do some things, and worry about what they're called later on.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:24 AM

View PostM.ALvi, on 20 March 2013 - 03:38 AM, said:

OOP is just another layer of organizing code on top of the process of writing a set of instructions to perform particular tasks, which is a universal concept of programming.

Learning to fully understand the code you are writing actually requires an understanding of logic at the basic level at least. You should be looking to the predicate and propositional calculus to get you in the right mindset to comprehend the fundamentals. Then you looking into the different kinds of programming out there like functional, imperative, object oriented, aspect oriented, etc.

Try to be well rounded.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1