• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

55 Replies - 5394 Views - Last Post: 18 April 2013 - 03:57 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: Google Glass

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:44 AM

We all knew the day would come. Apple has had glasses for watching videos and stuff for years. It was only a matter of time really before somebody made a smartphone like thing that did so much more than just display the movies on your Ipod.I have to admit though that it is a bit unerving. Imagine the movies on youtube? have you ever seen something and thought I wish I had my camera that was so funny the day is comming. The adds bother me I dont like getting advertized to or at least I like to control what adds I get. I belive in the mouse elephant idea: your mind is like a mouse and an elephant. The mouse is your concius mind and the elephant is your subconcius. while your subconcius towers over your concus like an elephant it is the mouse that feeds the elephant so be carful what you feed your elephant.
I think that these things could be very usful but we may end up getting burned a bit before we figure them out.

as far as the privacy thing is concernd I dont worry to much. our culture will adapt to not having privacy. our deeds are being cried from the rooftops.

they are kinda uggly
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• sudo pacman -S moneyz

• View blog

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:08 AM

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:20 AM

View Poststackoverflow, on 23 March 2013 - 12:44 AM, said:

What a silly thing to argue about.

The argument against the glasses because they are "cameras" and it's an invasion of privacy is totally crap. I work in a surveillance (software) company and let me tell you, if you're afraid of cameras the Google Glasses should be the least of your worries. The software I write during the day should terrify you, and I guarantee no matter where you live in the world the software I help write has seen you and god knows what else.

That may or may not be true - but those are only a limited number of cameras with multiple monitors... versus these on everyone's head? For example - there's eight million folks in NYC? Then that would be eight million cameras all going to one monitor - google.

View PostJingle, on 23 March 2013 - 02:44 AM, said:

as far as the privacy thing is concernd I dont worry to much. our culture will adapt to not having privacy. our deeds are being cried from the rooftops.

they are kinda uggly

That's my worry. Why the hell would I want to adapt to 'no privacy'?! That sort of apathy saddens and worries me.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:28 PM

^It's not that simple. Modern surveillance is everywhere and we already have "no privacy". If you step outside your house you're under surveillance. The only difference with the Google Glass is you can identify who is watching you, right now you're being watched and you have no idea who is watching you and when.

This post has been edited by stackoverflow: 23 March 2013 - 07:28 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:37 PM

There's a little difference, I suppose, in that you're paying a lot of money to participate in your own surveillance. This gives you no more control over the surveillance once you've gone under it, of course, but it does give you complicity.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:18 AM

Fun news in the corner world of 'Google Glass'. If you are magically tapped to be gifted the opportunity to pay fifteen-hundred for the device you are certainly not allowed to sell it to someone else. Oh joy.

Oh really?

Google is barring anyone deemed worthy of a pair of its $1,500 Google Glass computer eyewear from selling or even loaning out the highly coveted gadget.

The company’s terms of service on the limited-edition wearable computer specifically states, “you may not resell, loan, transfer, or give your device to any other person. If you resell, loan, transfer, or give your device to any other person without Google’s authorization, Google reserves the right to deactivate the device, and neither you nor the unauthorized person using the device will be entitled to any refund, product support, or product warranty.”
cite

How this came to light:

Google’s tight rein over the gadget came to light today when one of the first would-be owners of the device abruptly halted an eBay auction because he feared reprisals from Google.

“After getting a message on Twitter from Google saying I had been selected as part of the program a couple weeks ago, it just came to mind if they are giving out to a limited number of people, I could put it out there on eBay and sell it for a lot more than $1,500,” said Ed, a Philadelphia man who halted his auction Wednesday. (Wired agreed not to publish his last name as a condition of him telling his story.)

Because the only correspondence Ed has had with Google is the initial tweet about his acceptance into the program, he had no idea he wasn’t allowed to sell his Google Glass, which he had been authorized to purchase for $1,500 in the coming weeks. Instead, he found out via the Glass Explorers Google+ group.

He also discovered that some were upset that he had the audacity to sell his Google Glass headset.

“People were acting like I had did something sacrilegious,” he said.
cite

Side trivia on why this is an option:

The tech world, including Google, won an approval-of-sorts to control its stream of commerce in 2010, when the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said licensing language controls resales.

The case concerned a dispute about whether a California man could resell Autodesk software on eBay. Autodesk prevailed in a lawsuit, and the San Francisco-based appeals court pointed out that the shrink-wrap agreement between its customers forbade the resale of it.
cite
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:25 AM

As I said:

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 23 March 2013 - 09:37 PM, said:

you're paying a lot of money to participate in your own surveillance. This gives you no more control over the surveillance once you've gone under it, of course, but it does give you complicity.

Let the sucker beware.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• sudo pacman -S moneyz

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:28 AM

Awful terms for purchase. When I buy something, I like to think I own it and can do whatever I want with it without some higher up monitoring me. Definitely put me off if those terms stick with the retail release.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#54 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:34 AM

Definitely put me off if those terms stick with the retail release.

They're obviously not going to. This is still a limited beta phase. These kinds of things have NDAs and restrictive terms all the time. If you really think that they would go to retail with the same terms, you lack critical thinking skills.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• sudo pacman -S moneyz

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:37 AM

Well looking at other products you can "purchase" now, like music from iTunes, you are not allowed to share, sell or give that away to anyone. There was a case of Bruce Willis trying to leave his very large media collection to his children only to be told that it was against apples terms and conditions.

I know that's digital information, but it's still something that you supposedly buy yet never own.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:57 PM

I always though of services like iTunes, Kindle and Audible like rental services, rather than markets where you buy things. I've never actually gone through their TOS, but I would be surprised if those don't classify sales as rentals.

(With that as the best option for accessing digital media legally, it's small wonder people keep getting things illegally...)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First