Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Google Glass

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:44 PM

I can't believe I'm only just hearing about these! I gotta admit, they're kinda badass. I kinda want to get one just so I can crush it and yell "It's OVAR NINE THOWSAND!"

This post has been edited by atraub: 21 March 2013 - 07:18 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:37 PM

I think it would be sweet to have a personal heads-up display. I look forward to a future where everyone's creativity and intellect is augmented by technology like this. Of course, voice-activated technology is terribly impractical, but the concept is there. Imagine how useful it would be to have a device like this that could read your brainwaves. Just a simple calculator could become so useful and unobtrusive. You wouldn't have to worry about figuring out your precise ETA anymore, for example, as you could simply think up the numbers and watch as the results are computed for you. Glass has serious potential to lead the way to a revolution in human-technology interfaces.

One thing that Glass v1 will be useful for right off the bat is navigation. No more looking at your phone to see the way.

This post has been edited by AVReidy: 21 March 2013 - 07:38 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:18 PM

Google would store your thoughts on a remote server :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:04 PM

It'll be brilliant! Thinking will be a thing of the past! We'll just... umm... sit around and watch tv and stuff!

Yeah, thanks but no thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#21 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯°□°)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:35 AM

To the concern about others saying "ok glass" and making your unit do something, that won't work. I read a detailed article about these, and you either have to tip your head up, or touch a button on the side to make the unit start listening for commands. Otherwise it won't work. So unless someone touches you first, they can't command your unit.

I guess I'm not surprised at the level of negativity I'm seeing here, but I for one am all for these. They're ugly as sin, but fashion is a matter of numbers. Get millions of people wearing them, they're suddenly attractive. And just by popular demand, there will be better-looking variants produced. And frankly, I don't care how ugly they are. I want the functionality they offer. I've long imagined an actual HUD for real life, and these are one step closer to my vision.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

Well, it's not surprising that people hate this sort of crap. This is basically rudeness as a fashion statement. I suppose the up side is that the self-centered twats wearing them pretty much spare me the effort of hating them in person - I can ignore them wholesale, which will save time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#23 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯°□°)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:50 AM

How is it rude? I mean, I love the idea here. You'd lump me in with these "self-centered twats" just because I really like a product? If it's about the ability to take pictures and videos, then really it's no different than a phone. If it's about offending your sense of taste, well I'd say that's a personal problem.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

Then there's the push back concerns..

Time and again, Google has proved that it has no time for that quaint old concept called ‘privacy’.

The company already knows where its users are — by keeping tabs on where computer and smartphone searches originate — and what they are looking for.

The company analyses emails sent to and from Google email accounts, photographs people’s houses and back gardens as part of its Street View mapping project, and — as the company admitted in the U.S. last week — has looted passwords and medical and financial information by snooping on unprotected wi-fi accounts.

With Google Glass, soon it will know precisely what Google users are seeing at any given moment.

And never forget that Google Glass’s raison d’etre is to make money for a company which boasts the motto ‘Don’t Do Evil’ — while selling every last byte of private information it can to advertisers and retailers.

The answer is simple. Retailers are keen to find out such information as which shelves we look at first.

A pair of Google Glass spectacles in film mode will tell them precisely that and, once the data from millions of users is aggregated, they will be able to position their products accordingly.
Remember, the glasses have no storage capacity so all the information goes directly back to Google’s huge data centres.’

Nick Pickles, of the UK privacy campaign group Big Brother Watch, says Google Glass ‘makes CCTV cameras look trivial . . . the person next to you isn’t just a commuter any more, they’re a Google agent’.
cite

http://stopthecyborgs.org/
Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#25 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯°□°)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:04 PM

Privacy is one thing. I understand disliking these things because of that.

But to assume I'm a "self-centered twat" just because I have them, that's something else.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

View PostCurtis Rutland, on 22 March 2013 - 02:04 PM, said:

Privacy is one thing. I understand disliking these things because of that.

But to assume I'm a "self-centered twat" just because I have them, that's something else.

I gotta agree. I do kinda think they're cool. :donatello:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:08 PM

I took the "rudeness as a fashion statement" to be the invasion of privacy, the question of attention if you are talking to them, etc all dolled up as a 'fashion-chic' device.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

View PostCurtis Rutland, on 22 March 2013 - 01:50 PM, said:

How is it rude? I mean, I love the idea here. You'd lump me in with these "self-centered twats" just because I really like a product? If it's about the ability to take pictures and videos, then really it's no different than a phone. If it's about offending your sense of taste, well I'd say that's a personal problem.

It's got nothing to do with whether they look cool - if that's your kink, go for it.
It's got nothing to do with privacy issues, either - if you want to absorb into the machine and become part of the One that is All, or whatever it is you want to do, that's your business. Leave me out of it, it's your own self you're selling. I personally don't like being photographed, but it's not going to be an issue, because if you're wearing these things, I won't be talking to you.
"Rudeness as a fashion statement" - well, these things are purely a fashion statement. There's absolutely nothing useful about them, they're purely for show, that's obvious enough. So they're a fashion statement. And what's the statement? "I might be looking at you, but I'm probably watching TV right now, because I'm just too cool to pay attention to the people I talk to". And that's pretty rude - just like some self-centered twat who can't look up from his phone or pull her ear-stoppers out of her ears when they're talking to you is rude.

Of course, there's nothing personal about it, they just have decided to be rude to the world, as a fashion statement. Fuck 'em all the same, I'm sick of the glassy-eyed drooling morons that populate the cities I walk through today already. That fact that a year from now they're going to have some sort of damnfool moronocle in front of their face, instead of just plugs in their ears or a phone in their hand won't make them any less stupid or any less rude or any less self-centered or any less pathetically fashion-driven.

This post has been edited by jon.kiparsky: 22 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#29 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯°□°)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:53 PM

There's absolutely nothing useful about them, they're purely for show, that's obvious enough.

Well, we're going to have to disagree here. There's plenty use for these things. Navigation, for instance. Having augmented-reality instructions overlaid over your vision of the real world is a perfect way to display a navigation route. That's just one example. These clearly aren't just for show (see, I can make subjective statements sound like facts too).

You've just decided to hate people for using these things. It's just like bluetooth earbuds. Never mind the fact that they literally save lives (when used while driving), anyone who owns or uses one must be a self-absorbed jerk.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:43 PM

Bluetooth earbuds? Don't get me started. I'm a bicyclist, those things are murderous. I can't tell you how many times a week I have some asshat whose phone conversation is more important than my life try to kill me, just on my way to and from work. If you're operating a vehicle, you have one job to be doing, exactly one, and that is operating that vehicle. Anyone who is not giving that their full attention is a menace and should be stopped from ever driving again. I'd be okay with killing their license, on the first offense, but if you suggested just shooting them by the side of the road I'd consider it. The're trying to kill me, I see no reason to let them keep trying.
The moronocle is going to be ten times worse, of course. I can't believe anyone would be idiot enough to even think about wearing a TV over their eyes while they're operating a vehicle, but apparently I'm wrong, and stupid is even more common than I thought.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +