8 Replies - 2407 Views - Last Post: 17 July 2013 - 02:01 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Difficulty getting started freelancing

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:38 AM

Hi, i have recently been trying to get into freelance programming seeing as i have a lot of free time now and need some money, but whenever I go on websites like freelancer, elance or oDesk it seems that i don't have half the skills that job posts ask for so i am afraid to bid on a job in case i am unable to complete the work, so if anyone could give me advice i would be very grateful, Thanks.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Difficulty getting started freelancing

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Difficulty getting started freelancing

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:09 AM

If you don't have the skills then find a common theme of skill sets and try picking those up.. that and shoot for smaller projects. I've seen a vast array of needs on those sites, and sometimes people say 'required skills' but really don't mean it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:08 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 20 March 2013 - 09:09 AM, said:

If you don't have the skills then find a common theme of skill sets and try picking those up.. that and shoot for smaller projects. I've seen a vast array of needs on those sites, and sometimes people say 'required skills' but really don't mean it.

That's quite solid advice there I think. However, some/most clients ask for portfolio. That puts some in a catch-22 where they can't show projects they have done AND they can't make projects because no one will accept them.

Any tips for these?

Probably a great personal proof of concept project is nice, but if anyone can provide additional tips, that'd be great :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Married Life
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:15 AM

View PostSecretmapper, on 03 July 2013 - 08:08 AM, said:

That's quite solid advice there I think. However, some/most clients ask for portfolio. That puts some in a catch-22 where they can't show projects they have done AND they can't make projects because no one will accept them.

Any tips for these?

Probably a great personal proof of concept project is nice, but if anyone can provide additional tips, that'd be great :)/>

Existing open source projects always like help. You could also start something yourself. I've gotten a couple emails just because of what was on my github account. (Or so they claimed.)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:36 AM

View Postsnoj, on 03 July 2013 - 07:15 AM, said:

View PostSecretmapper, on 03 July 2013 - 08:08 AM, said:

Any tips for these?

Probably a great personal proof of concept project is nice, but if anyone can provide additional tips, that'd be great :)/>/>

Existing open source projects always like help. You could also start something yourself. I've gotten a couple emails just because of what was on my github account. (Or so they claimed.)

Sounds good. Right now I'm learning Web Development by making a few Wordpress plugins, so I guess adding "author of n+ Wordpress Plugins" can help take the cake if one is starting.

I guess I should contribute one of these days in an open source project - it's quite hard to build credibility when all websites you make are just run through your local xampp installation so no one sees your work (which is the thing happening in my case)

Thanks for the advice snoj!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:23 PM

Learn Git, love GitHub and BitBucket, and a lot of things will start coming together fast.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:44 PM

View PostLemur, on 04 July 2013 - 06:23 AM, said:

Learn Git, love GitHub and BitBucket, and a lot of things will start coming together fast.

Does it really help for freelancing though? I can think of a lot of benefits in being 'popular' in github or something, but do clients actually consider it? (eg: Is it worth it to link your github account for a freelance job?)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:03 AM

YES

This post has been edited by Lemur: 04 July 2013 - 12:03 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:01 PM

Biggest Tip I Have: Start SMALL!
The last thing you wanna do is get hired by a company paying over $1000 and you can't get through or you, just give up, because of the size of the task.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1