• Last »

267 Replies - 12966 Views - Last Post: 20 September 2013 - 03:42 PM

#1 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Spring - Summer 2013 Fitness

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:39 AM

For those not in the know we've taken a positive action on fitness in the community. Most of us sit hunched over a desk in florescent little self made caves for entirely too long each day. What can we say - we love what we do. It doesn't mean that we can go off and neglect our health! A few less hot pockets, giant redbulls, and fast food coupled with maybe taking the stairs, going into that not-so-scarey thing called a gym, or taking up an outdoor hobby can do wonders for a better sense of well being.

If you have questions about where to start, the benefits, tips on what to work on, interesting articles and finds, or just feel like toot'n your horn on personal achievements drop them here. Also if have tips on any healthy recipes or routines we welcome those!

There's never a bad time to start and everyone is quite helpful. If you have questions just ask!

---------------

The seasons are a changing so should your fitness routine! Winter is slowly dropping it's grip for some of us, and it's high time to get outside and enjoy some fresh air.

How did fall/winter treat everyone? Hitting goals? Keeping active? Minimizing injuries?

Personally I didn't do amazing, but compared to my previous winters where I slacked off something fierce November through February, this winter I kept either solid track of gym time in (zero degree weather and snow be damned!) with only a bit of major slacking a few weeks back. I am definitely keeping the downward spiral to a smaller and stronger version of myself going!

I came across this small article, and may see about incorporating it into my routine: The 15-Minute Bodyweight Workout.

As for the warmer months I think I might break down and buy a new pair of running shoes. If anything becomes accomplished these next few months I really hope to get a serious running routine down. Maintain the weight lifting routine (for now, but more reps), and focus on the run. Granted, right now, it is more of a lumbering shuffle (damn Sasquatch frame!), but it is getting better.

We have a group of about six guys at work prepping for a 'Warrior Run' later this summer. I don't think I am ready for mud and fire, but if I can carve out a serious groove maybe next year.

How about everyone else? Any major changes from their winter routine to spring routines? New dietary tricks, paths, or recipes? Goals to hit by the end of the summer?

---------------

Miscellaneous links:
Nykc suggested Couch to 5k

supersloth created a fitocracy dic group..

Random reading: The 100 Best Fitness Tips

Historical links:
(for ideas check the first posts, and general commentary, research, etc)
Fall/Winter 2012 Fitness
Spring - Summer 2012 Fitness
Fall/Winter 2011 Fitness
Summer 2011 Fitness

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Spring - Summer 2013 Fitness

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Spring - Summer 2013 Fitness

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:47 AM

Fitness Log, Stardate 1303.20. Still a lard ass.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:17 AM

Wait, if it wasn't for massively large energy drinks, I'd doubtless be in far worse shape than I am now. Don't be dissn' the giant redbull. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 laytonsdad  Icon User is online

• Cheese and Sprinkles
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:19 AM

I lifted my remote today . Does that count as fitness?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:23 AM

I've still been a lazy bastard lately. My room mate signed up for a gym because he got tired of waiting for the fitness center renovations to be complete at our apartment complex, plus they have a heated indoor pool. I'm thinking of heading up there with him sometime this week and check it out to see if I want to bother paying to go, or just continue waiting for the apartment complex to finish their shit. Bonus to going to the gym is that there are a lot of very attractive ladies hanging out around the pool according to him, so I might just have to suck it up and pay the monthly fees to get in there.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:23 AM

I can fit between studs without touching them with my bum and tum tums. So I guess I'm less than 16 inches front to back. Lol.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#7 laytonsdad  Icon User is online

• Cheese and Sprinkles
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:36 AM

View PostKilorn, on 20 March 2013 - 04:23 PM, said:

Bonus to going to the gym is that there are a lot of very attractive ladies hanging out around the pool according to him, so I might just have to suck it up and pay the monthly fees to get in there.

Not sure I would pay to see girls by a pool.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:39 AM

Well, that's just the bonus. The main benefit is having access to all of the workout equipment I would need, but with my current financial situation, I'm still not sure that I can swing it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

View Postlaytonsdad, on 20 March 2013 - 10:36 AM, said:

View PostKilorn, on 20 March 2013 - 04:23 PM, said:

Bonus to going to the gym is that there are a lot of very attractive ladies hanging out around the pool according to him, so I might just have to suck it up and pay the monthly fees to get in there.

Not sure I would pay to see girls by a pool.

just on the internets amirite?!
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:09 PM

I have made great progress over the winter. I can run a 10 min or less mile for 3+ miles now. I am noticing greater strength and endurance when doing chores around the house. Mowing the grass for the first time this year was much easier. I have a hill that I have to lower the mower down and pull back up and that was much easier than last year. i have stuck with ot for almost a year now so I think I am set up.

This spring/summer I am trying to my wife into a good routine. Hopefully I can get her motivated. She has seen the weight that I have lost and the muscle grow so she knows it can be done and still get to eat that ice cream or chips and salsa.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

POPULAR

maybe (definitely) it's just my heritage, but i consider chips and salsa a daily serving of fruits and vegetables.
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

I am Texan, so I have to agree. My wife makes a great homemade salsa, and I have learned I can't sit down with the bag of chips and the entire bowl because before I know it half the bag will be gone. So, I portion it out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:38 PM

Still following P90X every week. Gradually improving my form over time and increasing my weights, etc
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:40 PM

Is the P90x thing working for you? Are you seeing results, or is it just maintaining?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:16 PM

12 oz at a time, hockey, extreme remoting
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (18 Pages)