• Last »

267 Replies - 12963 Views - Last Post: 20 September 2013 - 03:42 PM

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Spring - Summer 2013 Fitness

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:42 PM

POPULAR

So, 4 years ago, I bought a pair of khaki capris for work. Then I went through a nasty breakup with a long term SO( B ), quit smoking, and became a lazy lump of lard. Today, for the first time in three years, I was able to wear them quite comfortably - no muffin tops or squeezing my ample ass into them. They looked really nice. Huzzah!
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:34 PM

I like how the word huzzah is making a comeback! Huzzah!
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:24 AM

Three Dog brought it back.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:52 PM

Jeremiah and I used to hang out. Couldn't understand a damned thing he said, but he always had the best wine.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#140 Apokio  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Addict

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:11 AM

Went for a run yesterday and was tired the entire run. I managed to bang out 2 miles then went home and did my body weight circuit. Then I layed in the floor for about 15 minutes tired and sweating like crazy. Don't know what was up with that? In other news, while out playing with my kids this weekend I was climbing a tree and tried to hang from a large branch and do a pull up and I couldn't do it. I think the difference was because it was an large brach and I couldn't get a closed hand grip around it. Then I tried going to another branch monkey bar style with a slight increase in height and couldn't hold my weight up with one arm. So, now I am looking into increasing my ability to hold up my bodyweight with one arm and increasing grip strength. Anyone do any rock climbing or bouldering? Looks like that stuff is great for increasing upper body and grip strength.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:50 AM

I tried to climb the rock wall at my school once. I didn't have mg harness on right so when I repelled down it gave me giant painful hickies on my inner thighs. Now i sometimes have to wear them for work and i am reminded of it. *shudder*
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:33 PM

Caught this in my news feed today.

Posted Image
The Scientific 7-Minute Workout

An article in the May-June issue of the American College of Sports Medicine’s Health & Fitness Journal does just that. In 12 exercises deploying only body weight, a chair and a wall, it fulfills the latest mandates for high-intensity effort, which essentially combines a long run and a visit to the weight room into about seven minutes of steady discomfort — all of it based on science.

“There’s very good evidence” that high-intensity interval training provides “many of the fitness benefits of prolonged endurance training but in much less time,” says Chris Jordan, the director of exercise physiology at the Human Performance Institute in Orlando, Fla., and co-author of the new article.

[...]

The exercises should be performed in rapid succession, allowing 30 seconds for each, while, throughout, the intensity hovers at about an 8 on a discomfort scale of 1 to 10, Mr. Jordan says. Those seven minutes should be, in a word, unpleasant. The upside is, after seven minutes, you’re done.

The research paper if you want to see the math:
HIGH-INTENSITY CIRCUIT TRAINING USING BODY WEIGHT: Maximum Results With Minimal Investment

HICT SAMPLE PROGRAM

The following is an example of a 12-station HICT program. All exercises can be done with body weight and implements easily acquired in almost any setting (e.g., home, office, hotel room, etc.). The exercise order allows for a total body exercise to significantly increase the heart rate while the lower, upper, and core exercises function to maintain the increased heart rate while developing strength.

Exercises are performed for 30 seconds, with 10 seconds of transition time between bouts. Total time for the entire circuit workout is approximately 7 minutes. The circuit can be repeated 2 to 3 times.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#143 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:54 PM

That's hilarious - I had just finished reading that article and was going to post a link to it.

Of course the question in my mind is this: since the advice here is not tailored to any particular fitness goals (losing fat, gaining muscle, endurance, cardiovascular fitness, etc) and some of the "scientific" underpinnings of the workout seem to be contradicted by articles I've read in the Times' own science section in the last year, I started wondering just how much actual solid science there is around exercise and fitness. I mean, we know a fair bit about the biochemistry of muscular action (ATP, glucose, lactic acid, etc.) and we know some things about metabolism, but we seem to have very little consensus on how the pieces fit together, or at least that's my impression as an interested layman.

Do any of you fitness nerds have any comment on this? As I say, this is purely impressionistic, so if there's anything convincing out there, I'd love to take a look at it.

And don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with working out on an exercise regimen that isn't backed by Sound Science - I'm just curious to know how much of the Science is more than smoke and mirrors and good stories. For example, the article modi cites claims that a short, high-intensity workout is "equivalent" to a longer, lower-intensity one. What might this mean? In what ways might it be equivalent, and in what ways will it be different? Anyone have any ideas?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:57 PM

I feel like they would have different goals, like power vs endurance, but in terms of calorie burn, maybe.

This post has been edited by NeoTifa: 15 May 2013 - 06:57 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:35 PM

I think the article was also pushing the whole min/max effort, right? Peeps be lazy and don't have time to get their thirty minutes of exercise in a day.. so if you can make it seven minutes with a high heart rate you can get more folks going.

Some extra reading:
http://whatscookinga...sityWorkout.htm
http://www.scienceda...30213173127.htm
http://www.forbes.co...s-for-everyone/
http://www.cdc.gov/p...nes/adults.html
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:19 PM

WE TRIED THE “SCIENTIFIC 7-MINUTE WORKOUT.” IS IT WORTH THE HYPE?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• sudo pacman -S moneyz

• View blog

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:16 AM

Joined the gym on 31st July 2012.

Decided today to dig out the old notepad that I had written down my measurements on before joining, just to see how far I'd come.

I've lost 8 inches off my waist (44 to 36), Gained 1.5 inches on my upper arms, and gained half an inch on my chest (My old moobs probably throwing off that reading).

Still looking ahead though and still lots of improvements to make. Still got the last bit of a gut that really doesn't want to shift.

As for lifting, I can now bench 90kg (198lbs). Squat 80kg (176lbs), but I've only just started doing squats, and that's with perfect form. Deadlift 115kg (253lbs).

Bodyweight stuff used to be impossible, I could do 2 pushups when I started, and pullups was a no-go. Pushups are now at 40. Can do about 15 pullups.

Looking for someone to do a Tough Mudder run with this October, which would be an awesome goal to get to peak cardio endurance level.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:26 AM

Playing regular football helps to stay fit :chinese: (although recently I've started to experience some problems with my knees).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:36 AM

You could probably alleviate some of that by working your legs. There are muscles that stabilize your knees, but you have to build them up before they can do it at an athletic level.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#150 Apokio  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Addict

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:51 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 15 May 2013 - 09:35 PM, said:

I think the article was also pushing the whole min/max effort, right? Peeps be lazy and don't have time to get their thirty minutes of exercise in a day.. so if you can make it seven minutes with a high heart rate you can get more folks going.

Yep, I think this workout would be great for people who can't find the 30 min a day to start. I have found that once you start exercising and seeing results then you find the time to do more. If this gets people started moving then I say it is a good deal.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (18 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »