• +
  • Last »

267 Replies - 13181 Views - Last Post: 20 September 2013 - 03:42 PM

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Spring - Summer 2013 Fitness

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:14 AM

Um... I appreciate the offer, but at 8AM, I'm the one yelling like a drill sergeant:

"GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER!"
"FIND YOUR GODDAMNED SOCKS!"
"GET IN THE MOTHERFUCKING CAR, ASSHOLE!"
"MOVE IT! MOVE IT! MOVE IT!"

Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

@B9 - Send me your number. I'm pretty good at stringing together profanity laced with the occasional instructional words... ;)

@rgfirefly24 - That really sucks. Yeah, leg machines were exactly what I was wondering about. Physical therapy is really the only time that I think using machines to target muscle groups makes sense.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:59 PM

your boss sounds retarded b9. how about she just lets people off an hour early to go to the gym.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#34 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

An interesting set of rules I need to keep in mind while pursuing this "yogging". From a 'pose method'.

Running Errors
  • Landing with the heel first - land on the ball of your foot (BOF)
  • Heel strike with a straight leg - recipe for hurt knee and joints
  • Landing ahead of the body, aka overstriding - keep your general center of mass (GCM) in line with your BOF
  • Using quad muscles instead of the hamstrings (push off), and pulling the swing thigh and knee forward and up - pull the leg up with your hamstrings
  • Landing on the toes with the body behind landing/foot - land on your BOF in line with your GCM
  • Landing with stiff ankles/leg - relax the ankles and let them absorb the impact
  • "Active landing" - don't place your foot on the ground, let it fall naturally with gravity
  • Overall muscle tension - remember to stay loose, not rigid, even in your neck, back, and shoulders
  • Active push/toe off, straightening the leg to propel the body forward - there is no need to push off and strain the calf muscle, just fall forward and let gravity do the work
  • Holding the rear leg behind after leaving the support - allow the foot to drop back to the ground
  • Leaning the trunk sideways or forward - lean from the ankles, not your waist, unless you want lower back pain
  • Keeping the shoulders up and stiff - just relax!
  • Arms pumping - keep elbows relaxed and back, with the thumbs alongside your ribs
The Pose Method of Running - An Introduction

One of these days.. STREND Fitness Challenge
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#35 BetaWar  Icon User is online

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

As winter progressed and I entered the new semester I wound up having to bike to and from work more frequently. At this point I am biking between 4 and 8 miles a day (during the week). I am up to the point where I use the 21st gear, so I have maxed out my bike's gears, just need to get to the point I am not tired after going those 4 miles.

This last month my work also put on a Stairwell challenge, in which we count up flights of stairs we climb (not go down) and compete against each other and across sites. As a result, I have been climbing a ton of flights of stairs per day (between 50 and 250).
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#36 baavgai  Icon User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:13 AM

There are only two methods of exercise I really keep up with; walking and tai chi. They work together and I'd recommend tai chi to anyone with knee issues. I walk a few miles every weekend.

Most people walk wrong. That is, we never really have to think about it, until it hurts, and just trundle on with whatever worked in the past. Resting on bone is far less effort than using muscle; until things start to wear down.

In tai chi, all the weight of the body is placed in the thighs. Often one thigh as weight shifts. If these muscles ain't burning, you're doing it wrong. Everything else is as relaxed as possible.

If you can do the same thing when walking, everything relaxed and just the thighs doing all the work, it's really hard to be doing anything wrong. Importantly, your knees are safe.

I'm not sold on running; it's an artifice that puts stress on places that don't want it. Walking, though, is something you have to do anyway. The most natural exercise in the world.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:52 AM

Our bodies were designed for running too though. A lot of people run incorrectly, and our joints certainly weren't built to run on concrete/asphalt, but done properly it is a great exercise.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:00 AM

View Postsupersloth, on 21 March 2013 - 03:59 PM, said:

your boss sounds retarded b9. how about she just lets people off an hour early to go to the gym.

I think her concern would be that no one would go to the gym - that we'd all just go home and sit on our asses, thus defeating her entire purpose. So instead of being allowed to do the grown-up thing and make our own choices about exercise and deal with the consequences of those choices, she's making the decision for us. Like we're in a 6th grade gym class.

It's an odd existence.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:44 AM

I call line leader!
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:45 AM

Tell her very politely to go fuck herself.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#41 baavgai  Icon User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:56 AM

View Posth4nnib4l, on 22 March 2013 - 06:52 AM, said:

Our bodies were designed for running too though.

Yes, sort of. Running at full tilt, being chased or chasing, probably only lasting for a few minutes either way. Sprinters run. Anything designed for slower motion, distance, endurance, is the result of being overly clever naked apes.

The reality is, walking upright pretty much messed with the mammalian design. Works brilliantly for some things, less well for others. As clever monkeys, there are ways we can optimize our locomotion for a given job. The options of max speed and max longevity might be mutually exclusive. I'm an old guy, I'm going with the latter.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#42 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:37 AM

I hit the gym pretty late last night.. 10.45 to 11.45pm.. got my lazy behind up and out... definitely not as sore as I was a few days prior when getting back into my gym routine. That's a big ol' sloppy plus.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#43 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:23 PM

Beeny im up about 5 :3 probably more like 515 though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:14 AM

On the line-up card for tonight is 265lb Deadlift. Excited to try out the Harbinger lifting straps I bought last night.

This post has been edited by AnalyticLunatic: 27 March 2013 - 11:15 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

My gym just installed a shitload of new machines. Can't wait to try them out tomorrow night!
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• (18 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »