10 Replies - 1123 Views - Last Post: 20 March 2013 - 03:05 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

WinForms Calendar for game, where to start?

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:04 PM

Hi,

Just started learning some c# and found this cool forum. I am planning to build a windows form application game and I would like to know about implementing a calendar, similar to how the game Football Manager works with games taking place on set dates, and the ability to advance time to the next day or week.

Is this something that is part of the .net framework or something I would need to create myself?

Thanks for your time.

Steve

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: WinForms Calendar for game, where to start?

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: WinForms Calendar for game, where to start?

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:15 PM

If you are new to C# then my personal advice would be to skip WinForms and go straight to WPF.
WinForms is faster to pick up and there are more tutorials but it is the GUI method that is going out the door. WPF is the method for today and the future. By the time you spend 10,000 hours mastering WinForms you will just have to turn around and spend 10,000 hours learning WPF anyway.

If you are just learning C# then stop planning on building a game. You simply don't know how much you don't know. Work on learning the langague before you try architecting ANYTHING from scratch. I know that's not fun and not what you want to hear, but its what all rookies need to hear.

My standard beginner resources post - Updated JAN 2013

Plan your study route:
There are three routes people seem to take when learning programming.
  • Just start trying to create programs
  • Start taking apart other programs and try to figure out the language by reverse engineering
  • Follow a guided learning course (school or self-teaching books)

For the life of me I can't figure out why people try 1 & 2. I strongly suggest taking the guided learning approach. Those book authors go in a certain order for a reason: They know what they're doing and they know the best order to learn the materials.

• First learn the language by working 2-5 "Learn C# in 30 days" type books cover to cover.
  • Do a dozen on-line tutorial projects where you build what you're told to build, the way you are told to build it WITH AN EXPLANATION OF WHY so you can learn.
  • Learn to plan before you type.
  • THEN you start designing software with a purpose.

I don't learn from reading books: I learn by doing.
Spoiler

Newbie/Rookie said:

I have little/no programming experience but I need to write a program by Friday that does XYZ.
Spoiler

Resources, references and suggestions for new programmers.
Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• It's just been revoked!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:18 PM

There is a MonthlyCalendar and a DateTimePicker control. Look through the Toolbox on the left.

If you have a full version of Visual Studio then there are probably additional plug-ins (custom controls) that you can install.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:27 PM

Wow. Thank you so much for your reply. I am currently working through the videos on learnvisualstudio.net website and have been working with php and javascript for some time.

I realise I will never stop learning in this area, and it will take years to become an expert.

Just getting back to my question though, is it possible with c# to create that calendar type experience for a game?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• It's just been revoked!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:34 PM

View Postbinga30, on 20 March 2013 - 09:27 PM, said:

Just getting back to my question though, is it possible with c# to create that calendar type experience for a game?

You've lost me. I don't know what a "calendar type experience" is. There are calendar controls that you can add to a form, as I mentioned.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:38 PM

Or you can make a GUI that looks like whatever you want. If you want it to look like a calendar, then make a GUI that looks like a calendar.

If you think there is a ready-made control that looks what you have in your imagination that somehow looks like a Sports Game control that you can just drag-n-drop to a Form or window... No. You have to make what you need.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:40 PM

Sorry, I realise its a pretty vague explanation. If I refer to the Football Manager example, where your game revolves around a calendar and what is happening on any particular day. A game of soccer could take place on a particular day, or scouting etc... You are basically playing your way through seasons on a calendar. Does this help further?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:46 PM

View Postbinga30, on 20 March 2013 - 03:27 PM, said:

is it possible with c# to create [...]

Yes. In my experience if I can envision it, then I can build it. After all if you can see it, and understand it, then you just have to re-create in code what you have already created in your mind.

The creative part is designing it and architecting how it will work and interact. The rest is the drudgery of actually typing the code. I can never type as fast as I can think no matter how much Mt. Dew I drink.

View Postbinga30, on 20 March 2013 - 03:40 PM, said:

Sorry, I realise its a pretty vague explanation. If I refer to the Football Manager example, where your game revolves around a calendar and what is happening on any particular day. A game of soccer could take place on a particular day, or scouting etc... You are basically playing your way through seasons on a calendar. Does this help further?

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:50 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 20 March 2013 - 02:46 PM, said:

Yeah, I am not expecting anyone to tell me exactly the steps to do it, you have answered my first question that it's possible, I just would like to know what I need to learn in order to think about implementing something like this.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:57 PM

View Postbinga30, on 20 March 2013 - 03:50 PM, said:

I just would like to know what I need to learn in order to think about implementing something like this.

A whole lotta stuff. More than we can describe in this thread.

We hear this 20 times a week. "Just tell me what I need to know to make this one thing", from people that don't realize or won't accept that the list of what they need to know is pretty much the entire table of contents of any "Learn C# in 30 days" book.

You need to learn all the foundations concepts of the language.

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 20 March 2013 - 03:15 PM, said:

If you are just learning C# then stop planning on building a game. You simply don't know how much you don't know.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:05 PM

Ok, thankyou for the helpful resources.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1