7 Replies - 983 Views - Last Post: 22 March 2013 - 10:51 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Quality Assurance instead of Development

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:43 PM

I was offered a QA intern role with a great company, one that I would potentially want to work for when I graduate, should I take it? It would be a potential foot in the door for a development role within the company but it would also mean that I'm not going to have development experience when I graduate. I've never done real QA so I might enjoy it but I have heard some negatives about this job.

1. Will QA help me become a better developer?
2. Will companies think of the QA intern role as a negative since I wasn't a developer?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Quality Assurance instead of Development

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Quality Assurance instead of Development

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:40 PM

1. QA work might give you some tangential benefit at best. You learn to be a better developer by doing actual dev work and that's it.

2. QA does not lead to dev. So if your aim is to get a job as a developer, QA is not the entry or intern level position.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:53 AM

QA may lead to a developer position but you would have to be proactive and make it known upfront it's what you're interested in and talk to the team lead and your manager to discuss your career path.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:11 AM

Some companies will let a QA intern jump over to development - mostly that's smaller companies. In larger companies, that's less common. A lot of companies will promise you anything in order to get you in the door, including "of course you can move from this to development!"
Evaluate the position carefully and be a little wary of bright promises.

1. Will QA help me become a better developer?

I've never worked in a formal QA environment, but I can't imagine that spending some time thinking seriously about failure cases could hurt your abilities as a developer. However, I don't see that it's the most effective use of your time, if you're mostly thinking about career.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:59 AM

I have worked in a formal QA position during the latter part of college and right out of college. Now this is just _my_ experience from _this_ company, but it was hard to get out of the QA rut. Once you were tracked in there then that's your lot unless you did something spectacular. Did I excel at QA testing? Hells yes. Being a programmer helped track down bugs and know the 'why' to the 'where' on odd test case scenarios.

Though when I did do my 'something spectacular' I was already moving out to another company that picked me up as an actual developer (I was tired of the current company passing me over for dev jobs). A sort of right spot; right time sort of thing.

Did it make me a better programmer, sure. Knowing testing from the iron fist of that QA department made better at error handling, state management, and expecting the users to do whacky things. If I stuck with the original company would I have been a dev? Maybe.. so my theory is if you want to be a dev faster get a dev job. Did the second job think the QA testing was helpful or beneficial? It was a mixed bag of raised eyebrows on how well my skills may or may not have atrophied in that time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:08 PM

I think we need to be clear... are we talking about manual testing (QA) or software test engineers (also QA)?

If you're doing software testing (unit tests, automation etc) then it's much easier to jump to development. Manual testing is much less likely to make a jump to development.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:31 PM

View Poststackoverflow, on 21 March 2013 - 08:08 PM, said:

I think we need to be clear... are we talking about manual testing (QA) or software test engineers (also QA)?

If you're doing software testing (unit tests, automation etc) then it's much easier to jump to development. Manual testing is much less likely to make a jump to development.

Automated testing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:51 PM

View PostCP3, on 22 March 2013 - 03:31 AM, said:

View Poststackoverflow, on 21 March 2013 - 08:08 PM, said:

Automated testing.

If you're doing test automation (and hopefully unit tests) then moving to development is easy. Some larger companies have little to no distinction between test engineers and developers. For instance look at SDET positions at Microsoft or Google...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1