5 Replies - 709 Views - Last Post: 22 March 2013 - 04:30 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Is my homepage professional? (code, not design)

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:33 AM

Hi, I've created a little example site that I'lll be using as a template for some websites that I create. The purpose of creating this site is to make sure that all the techniques used are "professional" and are the way that most websites should be created.

The site can be found here: http://joelkidd.co.uk/example

I would really just like to ask any web developers if I have created the homepage in the most professional way possible (in terms of code). If anyone could spot any shortcuts I could have perhaps used or correct anything that is not "professional" I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

PS. Please be really fussy, I want it to be perfect :P

This post has been edited by jskidd3: 22 March 2013 - 03:34 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Is my homepage professional? (code, not design)

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Is my homepage professional? (code, not design)

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:26 AM

well there is not that much on the site... so there is not much you could have done in a wrong way ;)/>

Anyway, your doctype says that your page is written in HTML5... but if I look at the tags you used, you did not use one of the HTML5 tags! Why?!
Look at this HTML5-Tag-List: https://developer.mo...L5_element_list

For example there is a <footer> tag but you used a <div id="footer">. It is not wrong and this does not necessarily mean, that it is not "professional", but it is not coherent.

This post has been edited by Anthonidas: 22 March 2013 - 04:29 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:37 AM

I'm no professional web dev, but the code looks fine to me. As for the <footer> vs <div id="footer"> its really just a case of syntactic sugar. Not really going to make a difference if you use either. Some would say if it's there, use it, others would say it's not 'proper' and takes away meaning.

But I agree with what Anthonidas said - there aren't too many places with your site at the moment that you can really screw up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:39 AM

OK thanks guys! I have never bothered with the new HTML5 semantics because I don't really see the benefits, but sure, I will look to implement them!

Thanks again :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:22 AM

View Postjskidd3, on 22 March 2013 - 09:39 AM, said:

OK thanks guys! I have never bothered with the new HTML5 semantics because I don't really see the benefits, but sure, I will look to implement them!

Thanks again :)/>

Take a look at this article. Benefits of HTML5 markup
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:30 PM

All in all, it looks very professional to me. It validates fine, and the only error I saw in the display is that the text in Sections 1,2,3 overflows the box at the bottom (FireFox fully updated.)

As for the HTML5 markup, footer vs id="footer", I personally stick with the div because the company I do work for has a lot of clients who are non-technical and still stick to Windows XP and IE8. For full compliance there are Javascript files created by others that will enable it to be fully HTML5 compliant across every web browser. That is my only issue with using HTML5 at the moment.

Just remember to have your code in a way that you can edit it easily, tabbed/white-space (I do like white-space) and avoid the silly marquees and flashing text and it will be considered professional to me.

//BrairMoss
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1