3 Replies - 1396 Views - Last Post: 23 March 2013 - 07:07 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

how to get a job as software engineer student?

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:34 AM

Hello, I am a student of software engineer(junior level). I am worry about how to get a job. I took java,c,in my freshmen year, but don't remember much of it. I have been looking for jobs to start off, but all require a bunch of experience or intermediate level of coding, and also different types of programs like PHP,c#,etc. I don't know what to do because I never worked in the computer science field, I had other jobs related to business. I need some advice on what to start looking to build up my career. I need some advice on what to do? where to start to work to learn about software engineering,or what sources to look up to learn or improve skills. I know this is a great website I just found out. But any other advice because i need a job, but I dont want to get a job in something not related to my field because that would waste my time and wont learn anything related to the field. Please any advice I'd appreciate it.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: how to get a job as software engineer student?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: how to get a job as software engineer student?

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:58 AM

Hello, I am a student of software engineer(junior level). I am worry about how to get a job. I took java,c,in my freshmen year, but don't remember much of it.

... why are you not working with the languages in other classes or practicing at home?

I have been looking for jobs to start off, but all require a bunch of experience or intermediate level of coding, and also different types of programs like PHP,c#,etc. I don't know what to do because I never worked in the computer science field, I had other jobs related to business.

If you see a bunch of jobs in your area looking for a particular language then go try and work on learning that language in the evenings or at night! There is nothing stopping you.

As for entry jobs - your school should have some sort of jobs board or your guidance counselor should be able to point you to one.

I need some advice on what to start looking to build up my career. I need some advice on what to do? where to start to work to learn about software engineering,or what sources to look up to learn or improve skills.

If you are not programming as a hobby, and your classes are not engaging you in programming, then you are falling behind. It's one thing to skate by one your school teaching you something, but you always have the option to doing it on your own. Again.. talk to your school guidance counselor or a teacher (that likes you) about internships and entry level work. You wouldn't be the first person with this question and typically they have local business contacts that are looking for cheap labor.

I know this is a great website I just found out. But any other advice because i need a job, but I dont want to get a job in something not related to my field because that would waste my time and wont learn anything related to the field. Please any advice I'd appreciate it.

Sometimes getting a job elsewhere happens. Gotta put food in that mouth and games on your xbox.

With out any more context of who you are, where you are, what you know, etc there is not much anyone can suggest than:
- do more out of class work
- network more with your school
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:14 AM

thank you for your advice. also what languages i can focus on to to be update with current positions in software engineer jobs?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:07 AM

Read the look job help boards... see a common theme for needed languages.. go learn that. Basic 'if see a need then fill it'!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1