#451 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What are you working on today?

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:11 AM

View PostAnalyticLunatic, on 03 July 2013 - 09:43 AM, said:

View PostAVReidy, on 02 July 2013 - 12:30 AM, said:

I've been working on a little HTML5 canvas experiment involving artificial life and evolution. I put what I have so far on NeoCities. It's kind of fun to watch... check it out

That is kind of interesting. Watched it long enough for their to be one family with what appears to be the occasional suicide bomber ^^/> What's the overall purpose here?

You know, that is pretty cool. Good stuff!

View PostfromTheSprawl, on 03 July 2013 - 04:21 AM, said:

Don't feel right at work anymore. Leaving it.

Hm. Sounds like there's a story there. Don't know if we're going to get the story, but I hope it's a good one in any case.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:39 AM

View PostAnalyticLunatic, on 03 July 2013 - 09:43 AM, said:

View PostAVReidy, on 02 July 2013 - 12:30 AM, said:

I've been working on a little HTML5 canvas experiment involving artificial life and evolution. I put what I have so far on NeoCities. It's kind of fun to watch... check it out

That is kind of interesting. Watched it long enough for their to be one family with what appears to be the occasional suicide bomber ^^/>/> What's the overall purpose here?

Glad you guys like it. I think it's fun to make things like this because you don't really know exactly what to expect. Some cool patterns can emerge when you change the smallest things. If I constrain the organisms to the screen, they end up forming giant clusters which protect them from bullets to the extent that they overpopulate and nearly crash your browser. Really, there is no ultimate purpose. If I gave each organism a neural network, the purpose would be to evolve a smart shooter, but right now it just selects for the best organisms. Each family has a different set of actions that it uses in response to different stimuli, and some responses are better (like dodging perpendicular to a bullet as opposed to charging straight into one). It's just a novelty, I guess, like Conway's Game of Life. The "suicide bombers" are actually the squares with the most kills dying. I figured they should go out with a bang.

This post has been edited by AVReidy: 05 July 2013 - 08:42 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#453 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:40 AM

Gave a two-hour presentation on SVN for documentation teams this morning. I had notes and stuff, but I ended up tossing them over my shoulder and winging it, since there were all sorts of good questions to address. Upshot: the head of documentation and her #2, smart tech writers with no programming experience, now understand pretty much everything they need to know about repository setup and administration, user management, and the particular issues of managing documentation teams under subversion.
Not to toot my own horn, but I feel like I kinda hit that one out of the park.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:45 AM

Record it next time! Put it on the company intranet for future folks to watch and learn! Handouts!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:10 AM

Practicing a little acoustic guitar, tackling another chapter out of my Python book, and some summer reading for college. Pretty chill day. B)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:52 AM

Completing CS 101 on Udacity.

Also re-reading The Fellowship of the Rings.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:55 AM

Spending the day with a lovely gentleman and all of our boy-crazy daughters. Rain or no rain, it's a beautiful day!
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#458 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:29 AM

Everyone's back in the office - there's a meeting going on by shoutnet, across my cube. Me a go mental soon enough.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:39 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 08 July 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

Everyone's back in the office - there's a meeting going on by shoutnet, across my cube. Me a go mental soon enough.

Put some music on really loudly and tell the people that there seems to be a bandwidth issue that is causing them not to be able to hear each other.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:40 AM

Attempting to survive the first day back after vacation. Calgon! Take me away!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#461 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:48 AM

View PostBenignDesign, on 08 July 2013 - 10:40 AM, said:

Attempting to survive the first day back after vacation. Calgon! Take me away!

Calgon? Wasn't he a villain in Star Trek?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:21 AM

Hoping this partial code issue over the the weekend won't go too far in terms of folks exploding with "freak out/backlashing"-goo, but as the phone calls and emails are picking up velocity my bits are shrinking in preparation to duck and cover when the nut punch comes through this afternoon.

F'n work.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:16 PM

Got into it a coworker (I'll refer to him as dickhead) big time today. He's already got 2 strikes against me for calling me, twice, saying shit like "thanks for nothing, now I gotta stay extra to do [insert something the boss told him to do but tried to delegate to me] because you didn't. *cuss and rant*" without even hearing my reason for not doing it (twas legit and boss agreed). Well, I was putting sensors in the ceiling tiles for these certain types of rooms, and I mentioned at lunch I was almost done, but I'm one rooms worth too short. They said to check something yadda yadda, but I forgot after lunch was nearing its end and didn't remember until I got all the way back over to the work site (about 1/2 mile walk). Naturally, I didn't feel like wasting time walking all the way back over there to get them, so I figured I'd do what I had left and help dickhead out because I thought I heard him say he could use help. When I had gotten done, I walked around looking for him to offer help or see if he just wanted me to walk back for it, but got stopped by the wall guys who kept bitching that we missed some spots firestopping. After saying that dickhead claimed he finished our portion, the wall guys kept bitching until I whipped my ladder over there, grabbed a handful of the fireshit and started slinging it up towards the ceiling (sticks better that way). Dickhead saw me with a handful of fireshit and flipped his shit on me like "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?! WHY AREN'T YOU FUCKING DOING WHAT YOU WERE TOLD TO DO?! BLAH BLAH" fucking screaming at me and bitching at me IN FRONT OF A BUNCH OF PEOPLE FROM OTHER TRADES! Like seriously? Oh. My. God. Tactless. So I wasn't going to argue with him in front of them, and said "whatever" and spun around and slung the fireshit into the bucket and stormed outta there to go and get those sensors. He called me bitching me out and bitched me out some more when I got back. Yeah, whatever. The wall guys were like "omg sorry to get you in trouble". Lel he aint nobody. Apparently he went off on them like "that ain't her job, I'm done with this apprentice, you want her? No, even you wouldn't want her." Fuck! That! First off, I'm not your apprentice. Second, I'm not even an apprentice, I'm technically a journeyman. Third, they did a bunch of other spots that dickhead missed, I just wanted them off my nuts. Told dude who was running jobs, now I get to work with him and someone else tomorrow while dickhead has to work by himself.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#464 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:28 PM

Well handled. Sucks you had to deal with him being a tosser, but it sounds like he ended up making himself look like the ass in that situation, so you end up okay in the end.

Hey, by the way - the market for Java devs is looking pretty hot these days. You ever think about getting back to sit-down work?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:31 PM

Haha thanks. I'm not graduated. Plus I forgot how to program. Lol. Modi helped me get my VisualStudio up and running the other day. I opened that bad boy up with unsurpassed excitement at the prospect of finally starting my project again. The screen came up, and I stared at it blankly, smile fading. "omg I don't know how to program"...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (133 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »