12 Replies - 728 Views - Last Post: 23 March 2013 - 12:32 PM Rate Topic: -----

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Considering a new game project - lots of questions

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:12 PM

Hey everyone. I'm thinking about starting a new game project. I'm not totally sure I'm going to move forward with this yet, I wanted to talk about it with you guys and get some thoughts on it first. This game is going to be a chess-like board game. I'm planning on making the game 2D for obvious reasons.

There are two things I'd like to do with this game that might prove to be rather challenging...

Firstly, I want the game to be cross platform and playable via IOS and browser at minimum. If it could run natively on windows, osx, and android, that'd be a huge plus but I realize that might be a bit much.

Secondly, I'd like it to be multiplayer and playable online... preferably someone on their phone could play against someone using their browser. I haven't done much programming that involves networking, so I suspect implementing multiplayer will be the biggest challenge. All the games would be 1 on 1, although I wouldn't mind implementing an observer system.

Ideally, I'd like to use a game engine to simplify all this. I know if I was using the Corona SDK, I'd be able to make the game for IOS and android at the same time and then handle the minor differences in settings files and a couple small code blocks, but sadly that particular SDK is woefully underpowered for such a project.

Do you know of any game engines that could handle such a job? Do you know of any good resources that'll help me get a better understanding of the networking aspects? Are these expectations reasonable or am I just dreaming of things that are too big for a game engine to handle?

EDIT:
Do you think using HTML5 is a realistic possibility?

This post has been edited by atraub: 22 March 2013 - 01:18 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Considering a new game project - lots of questions

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Considering a new game project - lots of questions

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:24 PM

I dont know enough of HTML 5 to comment on that, but it may be what you're looking for...

But in my opinion, Java is built for exactly what you ask for. Ability for networking, browser playability, and most of all, compatibly for almost all operating systems (except portable IOS i believe).

for a 2d game, i would recomend Slick2d library. it's built off the LWJGL (lightweight java game library). it dosn't have networking, or a good one anyways, and I dont have enough experiance in networking to give a good recommendation on the library to use for that side of things..

hope this helps
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

I am getting back into the game making hobby and have been using http://www.monogame.net/

Our goal is to make it easy for XNA developers to create cross-platform games with extremely high code reuse. We currently support iOS, Android, Windows (both OpenGL and DirectX), Mac OS X, Linux, Windows 8 Store, Windows Phone 8, PlayStation Mobile, and the OUYA console.

XNA? Check.
C#? Check.
Works across platforms? Check.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:31 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 22 March 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

I am getting back into the game making hobby and have been using http://www.monogame.net/

Our goal is to make it easy for XNA developers to create cross-platform games with extremely high code reuse. We currently support iOS, Android, Windows (both OpenGL and DirectX), Mac OS X, Linux, Windows 8 Store, Windows Phone 8, PlayStation Mobile, and the OUYA console.

XNA? Check.
C#? Check.
Works across platforms? Check.

Is it creepy that I just started feeling all tingly?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:33 PM

That's more or less my feeling when I took an hour long session on monogame last weekend.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

I wouldn't just dive in and decide on what you are going to use to make the game yet. It is clear that no design has been nailed, so choosing a tool, or set of tools so early is moot.

Depending on how in-depth with the AI, graphics and interface you want to go, you could actually use anything if it's simple enough.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:24 PM

I was hoping you'd weigh in . I think you're definitely right, I'm trying to put the cart before the horse, aren't I?

What are your thoughts on the multiplayer aspect? I'm wondering if it's worth it to try to make it so that anyone playing the game (regardless of platform) can play multiplayer against anyone else playing is a fool's errand.

EDIT:
Aside from the things I've already mentioned, I want to keep everything as simple as possible. No feature creep!

This post has been edited by atraub: 22 March 2013 - 04:25 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:36 PM

Something to bear in mind is that it is not easy to convert or attach a single player game into a multiplayer one, or vice-versa.

In this statement:

Secondly, I'd like it to be multiplayer and playable online

I don't think you have any idea how much work that is going to take. This actually counts as two projects.

What I would suggest is that you get the single player on up and running first, just to get something working and familiar with the direction that you want things to go. In designing your game if you still wish to make it multiplayer then bare that in mind, but like I said get the single player one working first. Your current plan will likely overwhelm you.

Good luck with it atraub. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:58 PM

I had a feeling it would be a Herculean task :)

alright 1 player version of the game using mongogame is my phase 1 goal.

EDIT:
Got too excited there lol. I'm not committing to this yet haha

This post has been edited by atraub: 22 March 2013 - 05:35 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:02 PM

That is one of the trappings with game development in that being able to scope a project comes with experience. Always plan with a goal to get things done over fancy design, after all a design is nothing unless you end up with the finished title. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:38 AM

How about looking at flash and the starling framework using adobe AIR for this project. It makes the cross platform and browser compatibility a cinch. The new GPU based flash rendering and starling is also extremely powerful, another plus is that you can use player.io for robust multiplayer.

Give it some thought :)/>
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:16 PM

Ahhh that does look really promising! Admittedly, using flash would probably simplify a lot of things... I played with Flash a little a few years ago. Also, It would be nice having more skill with something that's so high in demand, particularly in the web-design field. I think you may have swayed me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

I really like the Starling framework and AIR, really nice to use.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1