8 Replies - 2965 Views - Last Post: 27 March 2013 - 10:53 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

What is Necessary for the Accomplishment of This System?

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:11 PM

I am currently fluent with html and css. My goal is to create a website where there will be tasks for site users to gain points for completing certain tasks. Tasks include reviewing a material they used which they will gain points for if the review is useful, points are also expendable. They can spend these points on special features in the site.

The website as i imagine will also need to run by itself pretty much. The website will also be a place for people to upload files that they want review of. The reviews will hopefully be sent to their email as site users download it.

We would also like a sort of file hosting system/feature to be implemented in the site that users will be able to upload and the consumers will download it all through our website.The downloads on certain material will be sent to their emails through a unique link or code(whichever way this could work so that the download file will not be redistributed). We would like a terms of agreement notice before the download so that if its not accepted they cannot download the file.

The files will be generally big and we expect alot of traffic on the site. My question now is where do i start. More like what Proggraming language will be beneficial to create this. I'm also not sure if this would be a Web application or just a dynamic site.

Please List the individual program languages for each task . Thank you very much for reading this question!

I have researched that ruby is used for making web applications while python is a more all rounder. php is the top one but i just do not understand which one will help me reach my goal.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What is Necessary for the Accomplishment of This System?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What is Necessary for the Accomplishment of This System?

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:19 PM

Moving to web dev..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

If you really don't understand, then you're seriously underprepared for a task like this.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:46 PM

The task that you have set out for yourself is a very daunting task. It's going to take more than HTML and CSS to pull off. To list the languages that can do all what you want is basically going to come to the flavor that you want. For instance, uploading can be done with ASP.net (from what little I know about it), PHP, vB, and other web-type languages. Like I said, it's just a flavor deal on what you are willing to learn to be able to complete these tasks.

As Lemur said and I have to agree....for this..you are unprepared for a task such as this.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:51 PM

thanks for the insight!

Of coarse i am not prepared for something like this which is why i want to know what i need to learn to accomplish this. A guy on another forum told me to learn html,css,and javascript for the front end and i should use ruby on rails for the back end.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:04 PM

View Postoyebimbola, on 24 March 2013 - 08:51 PM, said:

thanks for the insight!

Of coarse i am not prepared for something like this which is why i want to know what i need to learn to accomplish this. A guy on another forum told me to learn html,css,and javascript for the front end and i should use ruby on rails for the back end.

There are many server-side languages to choose from: Ruby on Rails, PHP, ASP.NET, Java (JSP), etc.. Each programmer you speak to you will probably recommend their own favourite, and there is little difference which one you choose, although some might be considered easier to get started. However, check which languages your web-host supports.

You said "we" at one point. If you are working with a team then discuss what language(s) they know already, and discuss this with them.

Added: And, yes you need HTML and CSS, and Javascript for any client-side coding.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:10 PM

View Postandrewsw, on 24 March 2013 - 02:04 PM, said:

View Postoyebimbola, on 24 March 2013 - 08:51 PM, said:

thanks for the insight!

There are many server-side languages to choose from: Ruby on Rails, PHP, ASP.NET, Java (JSP), etc.. Each programmer you speak to you will probably recommend their own favourite, and there is little difference which one you choose, although some might be considered easier to get started. However, check which languages your web-host supports.

You said "we" at one point. If you are working with a team then discuss what language(s) they know already, and discuss this with them.

Added: And, yes you need HTML and CSS, and Javascript for any client-side coding.

Thankyoo very much for this answer it cleared alot of what i was thinking. from what i understand, any server side language will accomplish the goal. and it is "we" as you guessed, we are Noobs to the design and development community. this may be a big task but we are still in high school and have some time to learn/create.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:40 AM

Please List the individual program languages for each task . Thank you very much for reading this question!

I have researched that ruby is used for making web applications while python is a more all rounder. php is the top one but i just do not understand which one will help me reach my goal.

For your project, you need to go in with a full web application.

You'll need a webserver with some kind of an operating system. Linux is pretty reliable and popular as a server operating system. Specifically, Debian linux holds the record for the most ported too Linux distro which means it has lots of programs written for it or at least compatible with it. If you've taken an interest in web apps, I recommend you keep a local development machine with your operating system of choice on it. The PC doesn't need to be brand new, for a long time I was using an old dell with a single core Pentium as it's CPU and I didn't have too much to complain about.

You need a database to store the persistent data of your application (the points of your users, and transaction bearing on those points). A good place to start with databases is MySql, I find it less finicky than postgressQL which is also a valid option.

You'll need a server side language to handle your logic. PHP is a serverside language, built to be exactly that. I don't think it's controversial to say that PHP is the easiest server side language to get started in. It's old with plenty of documentation and tutorials, and is straightforward which will be helpful for people new to server side langs.

Ruby and python are both used to build web apps, but such web apps are built using frameworks such as Rails, Sinatra, camp, and w/e python offers at present. Frameworks are there to make dealing with database transactions, logic, and MVC easier (btw, the Model View Controller pattern is the current web app best practice for applications dealing with databases, logic and views). PHP in fact has something called the Zend framework which helps with the whole MVC thing and talking to the database. But frameworks are a lot more complicated to learn than just writing simple PHP scripts. Manually performing the database work might be a better starting point than jumping straight in to learning professional web frameworks used in the industry.

I noticed this got moved out of the ruby section. If you're interested in using ruby on rails, have a glance at this long tutorial (all rails tuts are pretty lengthy, this one especially so though because it's aimed at someone beginning a career as a rails developer) and see if that's the route you want to take. Otherwise start by looking up some PHP tutorials like "php How to write to database mysql" which I think you'll find quite easy to get into as long as you have a working understanding of programming.

This post has been edited by NotarySojac: 27 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:53 AM

Probably best to think of a less demanding application, like a simple address book, and try to figure out how you'd do that under your preferred option. (whichever that is) Learn something about the architectural problems you're going to have to solve, make a bunch of mistakes, and do some throwaway code. This way if it turns out that you don't like your first choice, you can back out and switch to something else without a lot of pain.
Which should you pick? I dunno. Ruby on Rails or django (python) are both popular. I'd personally rather stick a fork in your eye than advise you to use PHP, because I think it would be less painful for you in the long run, but you can even use PHP if you want (to suffer)

This post has been edited by jon.kiparsky: 27 March 2013 - 10:55 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1