3 Replies - 3286 Views - Last Post: 31 March 2013 - 08:21 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

picking a server for mmog

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:33 AM

As the title says, I am thinking of making an online game and I need more information on what type of hardware I need to host it, I will try to be as specific in my description as I can.

The game is an RPG game, similar to web rpg games. You get to have a character with an energy bar, you get like one energy every 10 min that allows you to perform an action, you also make money doing things and can battle other players (assuming you have energy) energy stacks up to 10 points.

Also there would be ingame cash and a weapons shop and inventory. I am mentioning all this so that you can get a feel on what the database will have.

The game will be an android mobile game only, I figured I can have the mobile market distribute the GUI (saving me loads of bandwidth and trouble) the phone can also perform its own local calculations and not bother my server to check for every little thing unless the player actually intends to perform an action(such as attack or buy something, then the server needs to check if the operation is legal.)in other words the phone can have its own estimate on how much money the player has and how many points it has, so the user can get into the game after a week of inactivity, and the phone can tell it exactly what it has without having to do a select query from the server.

I believe that with 1000 players online at once, I should have a load of maybe 200 queries per second, maybe less (since they will not all be making demands on my server at the same second) the database itself should fit for 200 000 accounts or so (they won't all be active, but they should all be welcomed) server calculations are not performed on any player unless they are needed, so no cron jobs. Database records number of points the player now has and the date of that update, when he logs in an hour later and tries to use energy, it ill be recalculated, if the player never logs in, his stats are ignored...

So any ideas on what hardware I should get? can I use cloud servers for this like gogrid cloud? or do I need dedicated? I hope not to go over 200$ a month on this especially since I have no idea if it will make any money

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: picking a server for mmog

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: picking a server for mmog

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

Well you can run this on essentially any hardware that is fast enough and can scale. I think you might want to instead focus on the software stack for this first and that will surely tell you the type of hardware or services you may need. For instance, it does no good to pick a cloud solution that doesn't run Python if you choose to use a Django implementation. Get the stack all setup, what type of services you are going to need and use and then just find a reliable host or dedicated machine that has all you need.

Either way you are going to want to have an option that will scale quickly in the event your game is a huge success. This might mean cloud based infrastructure, but then again cloud services may eventually go over your budget. You are surely going to want to have machines that have a lot of RAM, multiple cores and a really fast connection to multiple upstream hosts for redundancy.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:05 AM

Thanks for the answer. but why do you suggest python and not php? I also wonder how to keep several game databases in sync if I decide to do redundant databases...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:21 AM

Use Amazon Web Services' Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2). You can get a 1-year free trial. AWS offers the automatic load-balancing and scaling you need. It's a pretty solid service. My site runs on the "free tier," and it's just perfect. SSH into your VM anytime and configure it to your heart's desire. You get a choice of Linux distros.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1