7 Replies - 6659 Views - Last Post: 17 April 2013 - 06:09 AM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Portfolio Completely Redone

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:20 PM

Hey,

So I posted a thread asking for feedback on a sort of "alpha" portfolio I was working on a while back. That site really was just to test out some animation effects, and I have done away with it.

I have been working on a portfolio that (I believe) is actually professional and functional. I would appreciate any feedback :)/>/>

So far I have only completed the Index page, and even that is not completely finished. The slider will showcase my latest works done for clients or templates that will be for sale.

What do you all think so far?

http://sephiroth12.webs.com/

This post has been edited by xxxjj18: 17 April 2013 - 06:09 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Portfolio Completely Redone

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Portfolio Completely Redone

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:53 PM

With a portfolio site you are attempting to show off your best work. So things really need to be polished up and that means good graphics. The graphic of the guy (I am assuming you???) sitting at the desk is really bad. Really look at getting some top quality graphics for your site and things like being pixel level, subtle gradients, little shadowing here and there can really make things pop.

Also another thing you want to watch is white spacing. That is the spacing around elements. Let the content breathe a bit. The reason I mention this is the text next to the guy at the desk is almost crammed right against the left edge. Allow some space around it and it will make things look more in proportion and non-cluttered.

:)

Oh and btw... never advertise the fact that you do Dreamweaver as a main skill. Dreamweaver is not really something employers are going to see... DW just generates garbage code for the most part.

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 27 March 2013 - 03:55 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:28 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I plan on redoing the graphic of me (yes that's me lol). As far as the whitespace; I was trying not to have too much whitespace, but maybe it would make the layout cleaner.

And about the Dreamweaver comment; I see what you mean. I was really trying to advertise the Adobe products as sort of "Tools of The Trade"; to show what I use in the creation process. Do you think I should revise this?

Also, I added the "About Me" page, and am really happy with the results:

http://jgdesigns.fre...olio/about.html

I need to fix the shirt on the graphic of me; it juts out too far and looks awkward. I (just as with the picture of me at the desk) mainly uploaded the "sloppy copy" version to see what it would look like if I were to have the finished picture there.

Let me know what you think :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:31 PM

If my first reaction is to instantly close a tab, and second is to remember that I meant to review it, there's something really wrong. As soon as I saw the vector of what I assume is you, that was my reaction. Unless you're a vector pro, don't do it. It really does look bad.

Just because you CAN use colors doesn't mean you should. The blues you're using clash badly with each other and do a number on my eyes.

First thing you need to do is the desaturation test. Most of the colors are similar enough in luminosity that they blend, and that's a bad thing for text.

Second, read a lot into color theory, especially web oriented. I would stay away from that cyan with the blues you have. 3 hues max, any more is distracting. The cyan is by far the most out of place.

Third, white space. Learn about it, because there is none on the site. White space helps with flow, readability, and structuring of a site. To not have that theory down as a web designer is like not knowing how to tie your shoes before you start running full speed.

Really, what it comes down to is you have quite a weakness in basic design theory that's killing you.

Biggest Weaknesses
  • Color Theory
  • Whitespace Theory
  • Layouts
  • Writing Professionalism
  • Vector Images

Work on those, and you'll be far better off in your design.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:33 PM

Thank you for your comments. I will admit my design skills are lacking (I'm practicing heavily to get them to a professional level); my strength lies in development and back-end coding. I've fixed up the vector on the about me page and I'm thinking of a new color scheme for the text.

I attempted to add some padding in and remove some of the elements from the index page to allow for more flow and white-space.

Please let me know how it looks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:20 PM

http://sixrevisions....yout-tutorials/

Read into that one, and watch sites such as: Envato, Smashing Magazine, A List Apart, Just Creative Design, and Abduzeedo.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:36 AM

I changed a lot. Let me know what you think

Still working on some of the cross-browser styles but I'll get them fixed up

Pages up so far:

Home
About
What I Do

I'm not yet finished with them all but they are pretty much solid as far as the design goes

This post has been edited by xxxjj18: 09 April 2013 - 05:38 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:09 AM

The old site got taken down due to the host being "free"..

The new url is:

http://sephiroth12.webs.com/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1