3 Replies - 2129 Views - Last Post: 29 March 2013 - 10:19 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Working in entry level IT for computer experience

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:57 PM

For someone who has never had a job in IT/computers in general, what do you think about it? How are the hours, job security, and benefits? Places like Data Doctors, Geek Squad, etc. I have a blue collar job that is completely off of what I want to do in the future.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Working in entry level IT for computer experience

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Working in entry level IT for computer experience

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:29 PM

There are no good accurate answers for those questions in general. It depends on who you decide to work for. Just like with most other professions, all of that depends on your employer and what kind of deal you make with them. There are both horrible and excellent jobs out there for IT workers. (Like I'd imagine it is with most other professions.)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Head MFIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:30 PM

I'm not familiar with Data Doctors, & I imagine that Geek Squad would be less than $15 an hour as the required skill-set isn't very high.

The hours of IT jobs depend on the position, hourly will likely be watched by management to keep close to 40 & salary positions will likely be anywhere between 40 & 60.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Behind Seven Proxies!

• View blog

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:19 AM

Go for a real entry level IT job.

Something like Geek Squad isn't that. Geek Squad is a sales position with some technical knowledge requirements. If you want to get started on an IT career, the easiest way to get your foot in the door is at a Help Desk. They're all over the place.

They're typically not the kind of place you can walk in and ask for an application though. You want to look out on Dice.com, Monster.com (though watch out for telemarketing jobs faking as help desk there), or find a staffing agency. Robert Half Technology placed me with an entry level position about 6-7 years ago and they were really good to work with and for, and I got hired on full time following the contract through them. At the time I had 1 year of experience in IT just doing Dispatch, and no degree or certs. They have offices all over the US as I understand.

There are often local staffing firms also, and those usually run better because they're a bit more personal. I just finished a contract with one of them and got hired on full time as a .NET Developer just this week.

You'll take a pay cut going through a firm, but if you're just working retail, kitchens, or warehouse or the like that could still be a pay increase. Do a 6-month Contract-to-Hire and you'll quickly build the experience to be able to demand higher rates for contracts.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1