8 Replies - 1051 Views - Last Post: 27 March 2013 - 06:31 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Question; Creating a Game like Metroid Snes.

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:43 AM

Hi everyone, i bet you receive a lots of these questions and i'm sorry if this has already been asked, i have spent two months gathering information here and there and game making seems to be so big and there's so many way's to accomplish a project that all i find isn't ''compatible'' togheter.

I'm new to programming, i'm currently learning by following class.coursera.org courses.
I have basically no experience in game making, i've spent most of my life making games on RPG Maker and creating ''worlds'' of Ultima Online, Dark age of Camelot and Freeworldonline ..

I'm tired of the actual video games and i really feel like i could make a really good one eventually with alots of work.
Thing is, I have NO CLUE where to start.
I'm currently working around with Unity3d but making a 2d platformer out of it similar to Metroid or Megaman X seems very very complicated.

Only thing i want is that my project can be imported on recent consoles when it will be done ( Unity give me access to Ps3-ps4 and xbox if i pay )
And i've seen many amateur project that doesn't accept controllers. thats one thing that i really don't want for my project, i need controller support hehe

So yeah basically this thread as a lots of questions..
I've seen alots of post on this forum about game programming but some were a little old ( 2006-2008 ) and yeh..

so yeh thats pretty much it.
Thanks for you're time and sorry for my poor english.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Question; Creating a Game like Metroid Snes.

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Question; Creating a Game like Metroid Snes.

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:48 AM

Thing is, I have NO CLUE where to start.

Have you checked the pinned threads?

I'm currently working around with Unity3d but making a 2d platformer out of it similar to Metroid or Megaman X seems very very complicated.

Off hand does it sound like a good idea to try and use a 3d engine to make a 2d game? I would think not so much, right? There are plenty of other options.. SDL, openGL, directX, etc.

I'm new to programming, i'm currently learning by following class.coursera.org courses.
I have basically no experience in game making,
Only thing i want is that my project can be imported on recent consoles when it will be done ( Unity give me access to Ps3-ps4 and xbox if i pay )

You do realize this will take some time, right? That and your first attempt shouldn't be trying to shoot for some game that you will hawk to whom ever. Like programming in general - it is all about building blocks. Get the concepts of programming down and then build on that. Once you have a handle on programming then jump to game making.. try things out and then go for the gusto well armed by what you have learned.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:50 AM

Off hand does it sound like a good idea to try and use a 3d engine to make a 2d game? I would think not so much, right? There are plenty of other options.. SDL, openGL, directX, etc.

Thing is i've seen some very decent 2d platformer on unity3d..

and yes i've read all the pinned.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:04 AM

Okay.. then go nuts. Make a game!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:13 AM

erm.. ok..
Anyone else has a lil something to say? =)
I don't mind spending the next years learning a language or something, i just don't know wich one would be BEST suited for what i want.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

If you read the pinned threads you should have an idea where to go, right?

Look.. there's no wrong language at this stage in the game for you. Well there are some wrong languages, but if you stick to the main ones java, c++, c#, etc you should be okay. You are a greenhorn with no programming knowledge. Go through your courses, read your books, and learning the concepts of programming. Then eyeball the platforms and go from there. The focus isn't the language the focus is the concepts.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:20 AM

I'm actually learning how to work on Python, no clue if that'll do any good later but yeh..
allright i'll just stick to my course at coursera.org and yeh..

I just wanted to see the path before i take it instead of just following roads whitout knowing exactly where they lead :P

thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:27 AM

Sure - a common gripe from new folk to the programming world. They are afraid to fail so they spend all this time worrying about syntax needed five years down the line and they fail to learn the concepts now. By the time they do take a step it is five years later and the world has shifted.

When you become more experienced with programming concepts you can make a better guess on where those roads lead, but yeah.. now they may not make sense because you are still learning the fundamentals.

Chill, get the concepts down, and then think critically about what is out there when you are ready to try and make a game. Mind you you should try making small time games here and there then take that combined knowledge to making *your* triple-A game. Again.. series of steps else you'll just be flailing around spitting at the world.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:31 AM

thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1