Visual Basic Search Engine

Need help in writing a earch engine for my databse in visual basic 200

Page 1 of 1

8 Replies - 6860 Views - Last Post: 25 September 2009 - 10:58 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Visual Basic Search Engine

Post icon  Posted 14 August 2007 - 07:26 AM

Need help in writing a search engine for my database.
I use Visual Vasic 6.0 Express Edition and i have a database which i want to be connected to a search engine. Can any1 teach me how to write the code?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Visual Basic Search Engine

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Visual Basic Search Engine

Posted 14 August 2007 - 05:08 PM

For starters, there isn't a Visual Basic 6.0 Express Edition (The Express Edition is VB.Net). Second you're going to have to put forth some effort in this, we're not just going to hand you the code for your homework assignment, thats not how this works. Google for articles/tutorials on searching a database with VB (or VB.Net, whichever you have) then start working through it.

Once you start working it and run into problems then you can you come for help. Post your code when you have an issue and explain what is happening, what should be happening, and what, if any, errors you're receiving. You cannot just come here asking for code and expect someone to give it to you :)

Happy Coding!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:26 AM

Hello ppl,
Im using Visual Basic 2005 express edition
and i have a database with a table called "DVDs"
I want to create a search with a textbox and list box.
The search should look for the dvd's title in the table record "title"
The problem is that im really a begginner so i dont know how to write it but i tried... and thats wat i got till now:
[code]
Public Class Form3
Private Sub Form3_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

'The search is to find certain dvds from a dvd table in a database by typing its name

'This is to check if the search textbox was left empty
If (TextBox1.Text) = "" Then
MsgBox("Please enter a value!")
'to search for the text
Else
If ListBox1.Text = "Name" Then
(the part i need help in )
End If
End If
End Sub
End Class
[code]
Thank you and i appreciate any help available. :)

This post has been edited by CodeWriter: 15 August 2007 - 05:27 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:39 AM

Depending on what database you're using, here are some things you need to research to help you with this

For SQL Server:

For access

For both types of database you'll also want to research

I am giving you these because you have made no attempt to connect to a database, no attempt to research connecting to a database. I know before I said post your code, no offense but you could have copied that code from a tutorial and replaced their names with yours. Im not going to just give you the code you need, you have to put forth some effort first.

So research those items I gave you links for, try out some examples they offer, then if you run into problems show us the code you're trying to use to connect and search with and we'll gladly help :)

Happy Coding!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2007 - 07:26 AM

PhyschoCoder, I have opened the links and tried reading and understanding them, but i dont know that much about visual basic programming thats why i need u or any1 to teach me about creating the database search engine.
Plz i really need your help, i hope u can teach me about it
thank you
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2007 - 07:22 PM

I'm with Psycho, these boards are not for students looking for quick answers. It is considered rude for you to assume for someone to do your project for you. Is there a specific issue your not understanding?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2007 - 06:35 AM

i also have some problems with making a search engine maybe you could help me out a bit this is what i got so far.

Private Sub cmdzoeken_Click()
Dim sql As String
Dim sr As ADODB.Recordset
Set sr = New ADODB.Recordset

Dim Conn As ADODB.Connection
Set Conn = New ADODB.Connection
Conn.Provider = "microsoft.jet.oledb.4.0"
Conn.Open App.Path & "/software.mdb"

If txtproduct.Text = "" Then
MsgBox "you did not enter a search", vbOKOnly, "error"

Else

sql = "select * from tbl_software where product <>'" & txtproduct.Text & "'"

End If

End Sub

the big problem is that i do not now how to show the results in a textbox
thank al ready
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:41 PM

View Posthunterbyday, on 24 Sep, 2009 - 06:32 PM, said:

View PostPsychoCoder, on 14 Aug, 2007 - 04:08 PM, said:

For starters, there isn't a Visual Basic 6.0 Express Edition (The Express Edition is VB.Net). Second you're going to have to put forth some effort in this, we're not just going to hand you the code for your homework assignment, thats not how this works. Google for articles/tutorials on searching a database with VB (or VB.Net, whichever you have) then start working through it.

Once you start working it and run into problems then you can you come for help. Post your code when you have an issue and explain what is happening, what should be happening, and what, if any, errors you're receiving. You cannot just come here asking for code and expect someone to give it to you :)

Happy Coding!

Concerned Citizen:
This is not the way to answer a client who is asking a question. This is too rude and pathetic. Can I ask you guys what was the reason why peopel go to your site and ask questions? To get help right and not be ridiculed by stupid forum administrator. You better close this forum if you don't want to help people.

You can give them advice in a nice way and not point them back to google and give them a hard time. What is that, you guys are just trying to get or gain knowledge from others and not the other way around. You guys are pathetic - who ever owns this site. What is the reason why you put this forum up? To help right? It seems that you are not helping out, you are driving people out of your site.

Why can't you say it in a nice way and not say "YOU CANNOT JUST COME HERE ASKING FOR CODE AND EXPECT SOMEONE TO GIVE IT TO YOU", that's rude and stupid you know. Why not tell the dude to do this and do that in a form of a theory or a guide without exposing any codes?

I'm a first timer in your site and it seems that I will never go back to this site again. This site is useless.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:58 AM

This is in the wrong forum, so I'll move it to VB.NET and close it, as it seems to have been dredged up nearly two years since the last post simply to provide hunterbyday fodder for his or her negative feedback.

This site exists to help people through individual problems, not to provide one-on-one mentoring and free code-writing services. The rules are straightforward and posted all over the site. One agrees to abide by the rules when they sign up; if they are unwilling to follow these rules, they shouldn't have signed up.

hunterbyday, should you decide to return, feel free to level your feedback in the appropriate forum, Site Feedback.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1