Laptop for college?

  • (6 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6

77 Replies - 5442 Views - Last Post: 24 April 2013 - 02:12 PM

#61 Apokio  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Addict

Reputation: 135
  • Posts: 511
  • Joined: 14-August 09

Re: Laptop for college?

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:51 AM

I had a feeling this thread was going to end up like this. Comparing Apples to Oranges.

This post has been edited by Apokio: 29 March 2013 - 08:58 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#62 AVReidy  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

Reputation: 65
  • View blog
  • Posts: 431
  • Joined: 17-February 11

Re: Laptop for college?

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:54 AM

I really think I would prefer an Air over a 13-inch Retina. And I thought about delaying gratification till the expected redesigned Air is released, but I really don't need a Retina screen, so I don't see the point in waiting.

Maybe I'll just have to settle this at the Apple store.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#63 modi123_1  Icon User is online

  • Suitor #2
  • member icon



Reputation: 9393
  • View blog
  • Posts: 35,276
  • Joined: 12-June 08

Re: Laptop for college?

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:19 PM

If you can get two of their geniuses to pair off in mortal combat (each armed with either a MBP or MBA), have them bludgeon each other until only one remains standing (thus making the choice for you), and get this all on tape for me I will totes chip in some cash money for your purchase.

Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#64 Ludwig Wittgenstein  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: -1
  • View blog
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 27-March 13

Re: Laptop for college?

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:52 PM

View Postsupersloth, on 29 March 2013 - 08:46 AM, said:

View PostLudwig Wittgenstein, on 28 March 2013 - 07:57 PM, said:

but chose to invest in a gaming computer instead.

I HIGHLIGHTED THE THING YOU ARE NOT REALIZING IS OUT OF CONTEXT OF THE DISCUSSION BRO.

Not at all - the point being that I spent the money on a system that actually outperforms the MBP by a LOOOONG shot for ~$1000, and saved the extra $500 and spent it on other things. Extending on that point, it is absolute idiocy to spend money on something that can easily be outperformed by a laptop that is $600 cheaper. It even looks the same, but is from a different maker.

That being said, it is your money... so do whatever you like. :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#65 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

  • (╯°□°)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon


Reputation: 4531
  • View blog
  • Posts: 7,903
  • Joined: 08-June 10

Re: Laptop for college?

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:50 PM

Yeah, I like the part where you skipped all the thing I listed that don't outperform the Macbooks. Like the screen, HDD, processor, weight, etc...

It's not even the same class of machine. I know you want to feel superior to all the people that buy macs, but you're not.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#66 AVReidy  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

Reputation: 65
  • View blog
  • Posts: 431
  • Joined: 17-February 11

Re: Laptop for college?

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:46 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 29 March 2013 - 02:19 PM, said:

If you can get two of their geniuses to pair off in mortal combat (each armed with either a MBP or MBA), have them bludgeon each other until only one remains standing (thus making the choice for you), and get this all on tape for me I will totes chip in some cash money for your purchase.

Spoiler

You've got yourself a deal
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#67 Ludwig Wittgenstein  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: -1
  • View blog
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 27-March 13

Re: Laptop for college?

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:00 AM

View PostCurtis Rutland, on 29 March 2013 - 05:50 PM, said:

Yeah, I like the part where you skipped all the thing I listed that don't outperform the Macbooks. Like the screen, HDD, processor, weight, etc...

It's not even the same class of machine. I know you want to feel superior to all the people that buy macs, but you're not.

Not superior, but just more logical. :P
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

#68 Sergio Tapia  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Reputation: 1253
  • View blog
  • Posts: 4,168
  • Joined: 27-January 10

Re: Laptop for college?

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:23 AM

One thing most people here haven't mentioned is keyboard quality. You're going to be typing a lot on this device, you _want_ a great keyboard. Your wrists will thank you.

So yes, I would personally buy myself a Macbook Pro.

If you want the price point of a regular Windows laptop and the build quality of a Mac, you can get yourself a one of these HP Elitebooks: http://www.hp.com/un..._R2612_go_elite

I've heard nothing but great things on their design. No touch bullshit controls, etc. Built like a tank and feels amazing to the touch.

Check out this review (it's the one I currently own):


Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#69 CTphpnwb  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Reputation: 3034
  • Posts: 10,598
  • Joined: 08-August 08

Re: Laptop for college?

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:02 AM

The whole "Macs are too expensive" argument is silly when you consider that the two leaders in PC sales: HP and Dell have both expressed strong interest in getting out of the business of selling PCs. There is only one reason for this: little to no profit. Macs are not too expensive. PCs are too cheap. In business you get what you pay for and computers are no exception. PC makers need to cut corners to eke out a profit, so getting the same build quality and features as a Mac is difficult to find and often when you do, the cost is higher than a Mac.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#70 raspinudo  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head
  • member icon

Reputation: 61
  • View blog
  • Posts: 232
  • Joined: 19-September 11

Re: Laptop for college?

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:52 PM

View PostCTphpnwb, on 30 March 2013 - 09:02 AM, said:

The whole "Macs are too expensive" argument is silly when you consider that the two leaders in PC sales: HP and Dell have both expressed strong interest in getting out of the business of selling PCs. There is only one reason for this: little to no profit. Macs are not too expensive. PCs are too cheap. In business you get what you pay for and computers are no exception. PC makers need to cut corners to eke out a profit, so getting the same build quality and features as a Mac is difficult to find and often when you do, the cost is higher than a Mac.


I agree with this.

The only "PC" laptop I am currently considering is the thinkpad x1, which costs
more than a lot of macs. For that kind of durability, keyboard quality and pedigree,
it usually costs around 1k
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#71 supersloth  Icon User is offline

  • serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon


Reputation: 4503
  • View blog
  • Posts: 28,411
  • Joined: 21-March 01

Re: Laptop for college?

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:52 PM

corey doctrow was on gizmodo today talking about how he uses a thinkpad just because the warranty for $50 a year is AMAZING. if i ever did the majority of my work on a personal computer it would definitely give me cause to think it over.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#72 CTphpnwb  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Reputation: 3034
  • Posts: 10,598
  • Joined: 08-August 08

Re: Laptop for college?

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

I didn't see that (got a link?), but I've always thought that most extended warrantees weren't worth it because let's face it, the company is going to write the warranty in their favor. Odds are you won't get what you pay for. Laptops on the other hand are fairly delicate with more sensitive moving parts (HD, DVD) than are ideal (that would be 0) on a mobile device so I can see doing it. Of course, if you get a Retina MBP it has no optical or hard drive, so then it's a bit of a toss up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#73 supersloth  Icon User is offline

  • serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon


Reputation: 4503
  • View blog
  • Posts: 28,411
  • Joined: 21-March 01

Re: Laptop for college?

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:44 PM

oh sorry, it was lifehacker. http://lifehacker.co...s-is-how-i-work the last item.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#74 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

  • Pancakes!
  • member icon


Reputation: 7884
  • View blog
  • Posts: 13,400
  • Joined: 19-March 11

Re: Laptop for college?

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:55 PM

Quote

Aeropress—the single most versatile and reliable way of making coffee, especially on the road. Perfect when paired with a Porlex hand-grinder.


Heh. This is my rig. I love it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#75 xclite  Icon User is offline

  • LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon


Reputation: 911
  • View blog
  • Posts: 3,180
  • Joined: 12-May 09

Re: Laptop for college?

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:13 PM

View Postsupersloth, on 03 April 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

corey doctrow was on gizmodo today talking about how he uses a thinkpad just because the warranty for $50 a year is AMAZING. if i ever did the majority of my work on a personal computer it would definitely give me cause to think it over.

My employer hands thinkpads out and I can vouch for the fact that the hardware is top notch. Thing is built like a tank and it feels like a great machine.

The only thing I would change is that I would slap Linux on it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

  • (6 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6