• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

77 Replies - 5259 Views - Last Post: 24 April 2013 - 02:12 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Laptop for college?

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:37 PM

I have a MacBook Pro, and don't have any issue with it! I'm by no means an apple freak or anything, but for me the longer battery means a lot. Actually, I was surprised to see the amount of people in my major (CS) with Mac's. All of my CS professors have a Mac as well. I thought I'd be the odd ball going into the major with a Mac, guess not.

So I guess if you have money to spend, why not?

But on a side note, my friend has a Toshiba Ultrabook, and its pretty awesome. Even runs WoW great.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:40 PM

I walked in to the Apple store, still undecided, and walked out with a 15-inch Retina Pro. I'm more than satisfied, so far. When you consider everything, it's a good contender for the perfect laptop. The screen is just perfect (short of a screen that physically resizes itself based on the situation), and it's even good for coding; it has a NVIDIA card, 8GB RAM, and a quad-core i7; its battery life is great, it runs OS X (and virtually every other operating system), it boasts the best screen on the market, has plenty of SSD space, and it's almost as thin as the Air. That said, it hasn't made me an Apple fanboy yet. While the hardware is amazing, and while the software looks nice, I sometimes wish the UI was running on top of Ubuntu. Using the terminal feels comparatively clunky in OS X.

It's interesting to go from a PC with which you sometimes have to wonder, "Can it handle that game/software?" to being worry-free. And the worry-free part is nice at times, but I feel like I'm more creative and daring when I'm limited with a lower-spec system that runs Linux. OS X seems to discourage tinkering. But maybe I'm still getting my bearings.

I think this machine will serve me well, though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:12 PM

Wheew.. I am happy to know you have solidified your identity though the products you purchase - hopefully your days seem brighter, the sky bluer, and your life has a bit more meaning.

Required:
Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • « First