9 Replies - 1942 Views - Last Post: 17 May 2013 - 10:43 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Online Accounting Software

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

Hi

I was told that programming languages that would be best suited for software development would depend on what you would like to accomplish/develop.

I would like to create an online inventory tracking and accounting software, functioning akin to Quickbooks, but more catered to the specific industry I work in.

So, simply put, which web programming language would be best suited for a Quickbooks type application?
And for the database, would MySql be better suited?? or PostGres??

Thank you

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Online Accounting Software

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Online Accounting Software

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:46 PM

To be incredibly honest with you, if you don't even know what language to get started in, you're nowhere near ready to build something comparable to Quickbooks. Start simple. We have a ton of pinned threads to help you choose a language. Start there and work through the basics, and a couple of (significantly) simpler projects.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:49 PM

I think you should use ML... but I'm a real bastard.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:22 AM

My standard beginner resources post - Updated JAN 2013

Plan your study route:
There are three routes people seem to take when learning programming.
  • Just start trying to create programs
  • Start taking apart other programs and try to figure out the language by reverse engineering
  • Follow a guided learning course (school or self-teaching books)

For the life of me I can't figure out why people try 1 & 2. I strongly suggest taking the guided learning approach. Those book authors go in a certain order for a reason: They know what they're doing and they know the best order to learn the materials.

• First learn the language by working 2-5 "Learn C# in 30 days" type books cover to cover.
  • Do a dozen on-line tutorial projects where you build what you're told to build, the way you are told to build it WITH AN EXPLANATION OF WHY so you can learn.
  • Learn to plan before you type.
  • THEN you start designing software with a purpose.

I don't learn from reading books: I learn by doing.
Spoiler

Newbie/Rookie said:

I have little/no programming experience but I need to write a program by Friday that does XYZ.
Spoiler

Resources, references and suggestions for new programmers.
Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

I appreciate the responses, but I suppose I should have provided a little more info.

I have put up a job on elance and was offered to have the program made in both Python and Ruby.
Both are good languages with good supporting frameworks and I know that either can do the job just fine, but I was wondering, of the two, is there one that particularly fits better?

I'm looking to also expand the program and add on additional features over time.
I read in many places that Ruby has a faster to-market timeframe than Python, and although this is important to me, I wouldn't mind spending the extra hours if Python would be a better fit overall.

I will not be programming myself.
If you had to pay someone to have this type of program made, which language would you use?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:56 AM

If I were going to maintain this piece of software in-house, and there were someone with skills in one or the other language, I would choose that language.

If that were not the deciding factor (that is, we're not doing the maintenance, or the skills don't exist here, or we have both skill sets) then I'd pick the vendor who seemed most fit for the task, considering track record and recommendations and my personal and professional read on the person. Someone with a record of delivering work on time and according to spec is what I'm looking for first. If I have a few people to choose from I'd pick the person who I'm happiest to spend some time with, and who I think will be the most fun to work with.
Also relevant will be questions of terms - do they want to own the product and maintain it, or do they want to deliver the code to you? If they want to maintain it, arrange for a source escrow. If they can't or won't keep up with bug fixes and feature requests, you'll need to have the option to pick up with another vendor.

If you had to pay someone to have this type of program made, which language would you use?

As it happens, I'm a little familiar with both languages, python more so than ruby, so I could have some ideas about what I'd prefer to do if I were going to develop it, but the most important thing about this project from my point of view is that I'm not developing it - the language doesn't matter to me. What matters is that in the end it does what I need it to do and I get it in the time frame that we've arranged.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:02 AM

Neither language is going anywhere either; at least, not anytime soon. It's not like you're having this developed in Delphi, ObjectPAL, or COBOL. That's important as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:23 AM

thank you jon.kiparsky

I will take it into more consideration.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:59 AM

No front-end language is better than the other, there all have different functionality and scalability. But i believe choosing the right DBMS and designing a strong database structure for your accounting system is even more important than choosing the right language for your GUI. If you have a robust database, it doesn't matter which language you are using, as long the database is scalable and integrity is intact, your system will function efficiently. Get derek liew's accounting database design ebook to find out more on developing your accounting database structure. Good Luck
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:43 AM

thank you for your response. I have considered the importance of a scalable database. I'll check out the book you recommended. Thank you

View Postfdtoo, on 17 May 2013 - 09:59 AM, said:

No front-end language is better than the other, there all have different functionality and scalability. But i believe choosing the right DBMS and designing a strong database structure for your accounting system is even more important than choosing the right language for your GUI. If you have a robust database, it doesn't matter which language you are using, as long the database is scalable and integrity is intact, your system will function efficiently. Get derek liew's accounting database design ebook to find out more on developing your accounting database structure. Good Luck

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1