6 Replies - 952 Views - Last Post: 15 April 2013 - 04:16 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Hello & Why Not Python3

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:02 PM

Hi D.I.C. World!!

I am probably dumber than I think, but here's what I think I know.

• Just because I can Google for code efficiently, does not make me a programmer. At best I'm a script kiddie, only I'm way too old to be any kind of kiddie. But I'd like to be a programmer. (More on why I'd like this later)
  • I have lots of experience with BASH scripting and VBA. As well as the requisite HTML, CSS, and some Javascript.
  • I'm pretty solid with sysadmin stuff across Windows, Mac and Linux.
  • I learned Ruby a while ago, but I never found a use for it. So I stopped following it. Plus, _why left the scene and he's the only person that made it interesting to me.

I've just picked up learning Python v3.3, and yes my ventures in Python are fairly specific to v3 and up. Why version 3? Because I got a free ebook via some web promotion and it covers version 3. Also, I'm totally addicted to this game/webapp called Checkio and it lets you select v2.7 or v3, and I chose 3 cause that's the book I got. I'd like to actually use this knowledge for work and for fun. Which is why I picked up any language at all.

Here ends my, probably way too long winded, intro. Enough about me already, lets talk about Python!!

Other than lag in adoption of Python3, is there any reason that I should not start learning Python with version 3?

I never know how to end these kind of posts...

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hello & Why Not Python3

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hello & Why Not Python3

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:59 AM

Let's move this to a better forum for your discussion, the Python Advanced Discussion forum.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:22 PM

The main argument against using py3k is due to it's incompatibility with a lot of widely used scripts. As time goes on, this will be less of an issue.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:52 PM

The over-whelming feature that needs adjusting is that print() is now a function, rather than a statement:

print "change this to use brackets"

but if you adopt the habit of using brackets all the time it will make the transition from 2.* to 3.* much easier. Also, raw_input() became input() (between 2 and 3).

http://docs.python.o...g-to-python-3-0
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:54 AM

I sincerely doubt anyone will be overwhelmed by that feature.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• code > sword
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:22 AM

The info on this page is worth keeping in mind.
https://python3wos.appspot.com

If things you decided you want/need to work/play with show up there in red then you may need to convert your Python 3 code back to Python 2.

Getting your head around the differences when and if you need to is good to know anyway so you will be able to use Python 2 advice you find out in the wild with the relevant changes to Python 3.

This is a good info page to quickly refer to if a 2/3 difference needs attention.
http://inventwithpyt.../appendixa.html

With those couple of reference sources to hand and the awareness that you may need to occasionally do a bit of refactoring there is zero reason to not use Python 3 as your starting point and some very good reasons to do so, in my opinion (that's very much debatable so others may advise you differently).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:16 AM

Are there any issues with turning .py Python scripts into .exe binary executable programs for
Windows?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1