7 Replies - 2291 Views - Last Post: 18 April 2013 - 07:41 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Advice for Transferring College Students

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:58 PM

I'm paranoid about things, especially college. If you are a transfer student who is looking to get into a better college, you probably have the nagging voice in your head saying "Oh my gosh, there acceptance rate is only %50! What happens if you don't make it? YOUR DREAMS WILL BE RUINED!"

Here I ask if anyone has any advice on getting a good reputation with a future college. Obviously a good GPA will go a long way, but is that really everything? If you have any other advice for transfer students, feel free to post them here as well.

View Postdrakethedragon, on 27 March 2013 - 01:54 PM, said:

I'm paranoid about things, especially college. If you are a transfer student who is looking to get into a better college, you probably have the nagging voice in your head saying "Oh my gosh, there acceptance rate is only %50! What happens if you don't make it? YOUR DREAMS WILL BE RUINED!"

Here I ask if anyone has any advice on getting a good reputation with a future college. Obviously a good GPA will go a long way, but is that really everything? If you have any other advice for transfer students, feel free to post them here as well.

Their* and 50%*

God, I suck at everything I do...

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Advice for Transferring College Students

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Advice for Transferring College Students

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:50 PM

The College Solution Transfer Students: 8 Things You Need to Know
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:05 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 27 March 2013 - 02:50 PM, said:

I have read this article before with a few others. This is what made me happy:

The SAT and ACT, according to the NACAC survey, are less important for transfers than high school students.

This post has been edited by drakethedragon: 27 March 2013 - 03:07 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

When I transferred, I simply went through the motions and got accepted. I don't know if I barely made it or if I was an easy accaptance. The college should post requirements of students they accept. If you meet those requirements, then I would assume you have a pretty good chance of getting accepted. My credentials weren't anything to show off. I was slightly above the requirements. However, I had put a lot of effort into my application. The entrance paper was the best literature I have ever produced. I don't know if this is what will get you accepted. All I know is that it worked for me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:58 PM

Thanks for the info mojo666, :)

I have been looking at the college's requirements, and they are lower than I expected (much lower.) I also found out they have a 40% retention rate. If my plans work out before I attempt to transfer, I should be able to slide in easily (oh God, I hope.)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• |>|20-514<|{3|2

• View blog

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:57 PM

Be careful when transferring... If you're transferring out of state, with no prior degree, you may have to repeat a lot of classes. I transferred from California to Nevada for personal reasons and lost about 60 credits (Associates is 64), so I went from the end of my sophomore year back to the beginning.

IDK where you plan on transferring (internal or external), but do your research and ensure your classes will transfer prior to making the leap.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:24 PM

Obviously a good GPA will go a long way, but is that really everything?

It's not necessary just your GPA, it's also how you do in the classes that are applicable to your major. An engineering student has a 3.5 GPA and got straight A's through general education, and got C's in math and physics might have a less of a change of getting in than a student with a 3.0 GPA that got straight A's in math and physics and bombed the general education.

I'm only saying that because I've seen it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:41 PM

I transfered from community college to VA Tech and I went through the normal application process but they also did on-site admissions at my community college. I literally sat in a room with a Tech admissions person and she went over my transcript with me. Note here that I have two Fs and a D on my transcript but she didnt care about them. She only cared about the classes that are in my major and since I'm CS, she only looked at my math, science, and engineering classes, which were all A and B. Even with a GPA that was barely a 3.0, I got in on the spot.

So, in short, it's true what jjl said. They usually only care about the classes in-major. That obviously doesnt mean to just bomb the rest, but overall GPA is not as huge of a factor as people think it is. For transfers they tend to look at the individual class grades.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1