3 Replies - 4839 Views - Last Post: 29 March 2013 - 10:48 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Getting A Location In String From Google Maps

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:10 AM

I'm trying to build a mobile app but first i need to know if what i want to do is feasible. I want to be able to pinpoint a users location via the app and retrieve the location name into a string and do a comparison with it in a database. I do know some languages like HTML, Javascript, C, C++, C#,VB but do not know which will be best to use. I plan to develop the app for all mobile platforms and it should communicate with an asp.net website that i will create.

PS: The app is still in design stages, so no implementation yet, i just need some advice.

This post has been edited by merlin'sbeard: 28 March 2013 - 07:11 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Getting A Location In String From Google Maps

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Getting A Location In String From Google Maps

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:47 AM

I would start with the Google Maps API
https://developers.google.com/maps/

Find out what it can do for you.

There are some frameworks out there such as mono that let you run C# on Apple devices. So if you are wanting to do something on 'all mobile platforms' you need to decide what lanaguages all of those use and what you can do to simplify and reuse. If you can make a single code base and use it on both iPhone and WindowsPhone for example that cuts down on a lot of work.

merlin`sbeard said:

I do know some languages like HTML, Javascript, C, C++, C#,VB but do not know which will be best to use.

Forgive me, but this makes me think you've been introduced to these languages but I have my doubts about how much you really *know* them. Someone that knows a language doesn't have doubts about which one to use because they know them well enough to know their strengths and weaknesses. Not to mention nobody lumps all that together as options for a mobile application.

Research at what you need, not what you think you know.
What language is needed for iPhone?
What language is needed for WindowsPhone8?
What lanaguage is needed for Android?

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 28 March 2013 - 10:47 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:34 AM

thanks alot, with respect to me only being introduced to the languages i mentioned i've actually been developing desktop and web applications for a year, though i'm still no expert it is still my profession, what i don't know about is mobile development since this app i'm working on will be my first app but still thanks alot for the advice i'm still reading the articles and doing extra research.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:48 AM

These guys run a free short course on WinPhone8 development. I found it very good.
http://learn.itmasters.edu.au/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1