3 Replies - 4294 Views - Last Post: 30 March 2013 - 02:42 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Clearance servers, what is the deal?

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:24 PM

When scouting for dedicated servers, I often find deals on "clearance servers" which are very big and very cheap servers (like 32 GB of ram for like 100$ )

I asked and was told that these are used servers... are they still reliable and worth the price? anyone has anything to say about them?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Clearance servers, what is the deal?

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Clearance servers, what is the deal?

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:45 AM

With no link there's little for us to base a decision on.

I once bought a Mac Xserve and Raid for $500. They were the older generation but were maxed out. The company had them on contract. The contract ran its life span, so was getting new. They used memory that was old enough to be expensive if it needed to be replaced. SCSI hard drives instead of modern SATA drives and so on. In the event of a failure it becomes hard to get parts.

I used it as a media server for my house for a while.

On the other hand, I re-sold them to a company that had 3 more rigs just like it and a cabinet full of parts, and quadroupled my investment. But it was a fluke in stumbling across someone with the need.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:46 PM

I've been using old Sun Netra servers since 2007 for low-end processing like custom web software servers & email servers. They were old when I bought them for all of $40, & they are still old. They run 24x7 & are reliable as it gets.

If you spend your time doing the right research, you can spec when you need & then shop for the best deal.

If shopping on eBay or other online services, I would suggest buying from someone selling many of the same servers, &/or other server equipment. Thus it probably was pulled from a working environment by qualified re-sellers. Otherwise you risk buying it from someone that poked it with a stick not knowing what they were doing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:42 AM

What providers do you guys use? I still don't know who to trust since I never bought servers before, and since every corner on the internet tells me a different story about the same providers :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1