1 Replies - 485 Views - Last Post: 28 March 2013 - 07:11 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

NoSQL

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:35 PM

I have a question regarding this new buzz word. I was wondering whether people gave it a go (maybe the company you work for is switching to it?) and what are your experiences. Which database management did you go with? - Redis, Cassandra etc.

Does one need to be an expert in SQL to grasp NoSQL?

Thanks for sharing.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: NoSQL

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: NoSQL

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:11 PM

I've never used it professionally, but I've played with MongoDB on my own projects. The thing to note about it is that it's fast. Extremely fast. But you lose some of the reliability a normalized RDBMS gives you. I would definitely not replace most of the business critical databases I'm responsible for with it, but for things that are less critical, like frequently updated activity logs and such things, there could be a big benefit from switching.

View Postdarek9576, on 29 March 2013 - 01:35 AM, said:

Does one need to be an expert in SQL to grasp NoSQL?

No. Being an expert in typical RDBMS databases in general is mostly about the ability to properly design the table layout, and to query those design in an efficient manner. Even though some of those skills may be useful in some of the databases under the NoSQL umbrella, the design of such database needs to be approached a lot differently, and many of them use completely SQL-less methods of access, so advanced knowledge of the finer details of SQL querying is more or less useless. (Though knowing the concepts doesn't hurt, I suppose.)

Keep in mind that NoSQL covers a lot of things. Databases like MongoDB and Cassandra are what people tend to think about in relation to that term, but it covers pretty much anything that isn't a RDBMS. Simple key-value systems like Memcache, for example, also fall under that term. You definitely don't need any expertise in other databases to get Memcache.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1