• Last »

65 Replies - 8239 Views - Last Post: 30 April 2013 - 06:32 PM

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Dream.In.Code + CloudFlare

Post icon  Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:55 AM

POPULAR

Last night I moved the dreamincode.net domain to CloudFlare, a service that helps optimize and protect web sites. After fending off the largest DDoS attack ever, I figured it might be worth giving them another shot: http://blog.cloudfla...ke-the-internet

So far the results are promising. Pages have been loading within 1-2 seconds instead of 10-12 and all javascript has been automatically deferred until after the page finishes loading, so ads and other javascript won't interfere with loading pages anymore.

The service does offer several advanced security options which may prompt you to enter a CAPTCHA if you trigger one of the security rules. If this happens, please let me know so I can adjust the ruleset.

So far, everything seems to be working fine. But if you notice any new problems, please let me know.

Otherwise, please enjoy the much faster load times from around the world.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 7
  • +

Replies To: Dream.In.Code + CloudFlare

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Dream.In.Code + CloudFlare

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:07 AM

Cool! I've read about Cloudflare, but never had a need for them... Maybe it's time for a second look.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

Crap! I see the fast reply bug is still there. Lost my previous attempt to reply. In summary I was saying I wouldn't be one to run to a host that is under attack even if they are defending themselves pretty good. It is like running to a building under siege and saying "If they can fight off bullets, I will certainly live there". That is until someone brings a bazooka to the game.

I would have found someone who is not in the spotlight, solid but discrete and hide away from all the action. Hopefully DIC doesn't pay for it in the end. Either way I appreciate all the updates you have done recently to increase the stability and performance of the site.

Now only if we can shake off all these continuing bugs and problems... like the fast reply bug. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:43 AM

What's the fast reply bug?

Oh, and we didn't change hosts. This is a cloud based optimization and security service that we can bypass with the click of a button. It compresses, optimizes code on the fly, and passes all requests through an application firewall to detect known threats. It's also a DDoS mitigation service (that hasn't been an issue for us).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:19 PM

The 'fast reply bug' has been around a while.
If you load the page, type a reply in the 'fast reply' box and hit [POST] there is a good chance it won't record and you'll be sent to the home page.

I make it a habit to always select-all/copy before hitting [post] anymore. What way when it fails I can hit back, reload, paste in the response and submit. Its kinda sad to say I've had to do it often enough that I've become proficient at it.

I've noticed that if I click on the thread title to cause a reload (not reload from my browser) then my fast reply works.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#6 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

I've also been trying to copy my post-text before hitting post although, typically!, it's when I type a longer post that I tend to forget to do this and it fails.. which is a bit annoying.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:24 PM

You might want to check your personal CopyIfLongPost algorythm. Because the longer the post the MORE likely you are to NOT copy it is backwards. Though personally I'm too afraid of what I'd find if I checked my brain's code.
:detective:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:34 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 30 March 2013 - 08:24 PM, said:

You might want to check your personal CopyIfLongPost algorythm. Because the longer the post the MORE likely you are to NOT copy it is backwards. Though personally I'm too afraid of what I'd find if I checked my brain's code.
:detective:/>

Perhaps I could create a bookmarklet to copy the text that I type to the clipboard, using perhaps the keydown event of the document. However, I would need to remember to click it as soon as I load a page, Doh!

But, yes, my algorithm is backwards (:

This post has been edited by andrewsw: 30 March 2013 - 01:36 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:52 PM

You might be on to something.
What if the site copied all the text to the clipboard when [POST] is clicked, in the same way clicking the [CopyCode] button does in a code block? But then we are getting into making a bandaide for the symptom rather than curing the illness.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:00 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 30 March 2013 - 08:52 PM, said:

You might be on to something.
What if the site copied all the text to the clipboard when [POST] is clicked, in the same way clicking the [CopyCode] button does in a code block? But then we are getting into making a bandaide for the symptom rather than curing the illness.

I wouldn't be in favour, I sometimes already have something in my clipboard that I wouldn't want to lose. But, as you say, this would be a band-aid.

[There could be a new button though: Post and Copy - I think I would find this quite useful.]

..I would also like an option to Quote+Reply, but only for selected text, hoping that it would recognise who I am quoting. Andy.

This post has been edited by andrewsw: 30 March 2013 - 01:57 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#11 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:18 PM

The rep buttons aren't working for me, just jumping to the top of the page, and the Fast Reply has no format/content buttons (they did before didn't they?). Just thought I'd mention :)

This post has been edited by andrewsw: 30 March 2013 - 03:20 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:45 PM

Doesn't the fast reply bug occur because the thread is moved (especially into the gimme the codes subforum) before you've gotten to reply.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:51 PM

Not just then. I've had it happen many times on threads that haven't been relocated.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

Lots of odd things happening recently.. post-buttons disappearing, the main content, at one point, stretched to the full page-width.. I assume these are teething issues.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

View Postandrewsw, on 30 March 2013 - 05:18 PM, said:

The rep buttons aren't working for me, just jumping to the top of the page, and the Fast Reply has no format/content buttons (they did before didn't they?). Just thought I'd mention :)/>

This is likely due to some security rules preventing the requisite javascript from loading. If you have the console open when you load a page, you'll see lots of red - that's scripts failing to load.

There are a lot of good answers that haven't gotten rep from me because I've read them while I've been at work.

View PostAdamSpeight2008, on 30 March 2013 - 05:45 PM, said:

Doesn't the fast reply bug occur because the thread is moved (especially into the gimme the codes subforum) before you've gotten to reply.

Well, that's not a bug, that's just you replying to a post that's getting moved. Working as designed, more or less.

No, the fast reply bug that they're talking about is a submit that doesn't go through and loses your content, for no obvious reason.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »