2 Replies - 2050 Views - Last Post: 04 April 2013 - 09:50 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

DataList TextBox Auto Save via OnClick event? Users saving comments.

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:58 PM

Hello,
I am extremely new at ASP.net and C# and could really use some help on this one.

I am using ASP.net, C#, SQL Server, and Visual Studio to create this updateable DataList.
The objective of this site is for several users to enter “notes” into the respective fields as they please. Using an online tutorial, I added an Edit, Update, and cancel button to navigate through the DataList’s Item and Edit templates.

Ideally, I would like the user to have the ability to simply click into the “notes” textbox, thus also transferring them to the Edit template (without them having to click edit). After finishing their update, click out of the textbox to update the record (without having to hit “update”).

I am open to any suggestions on how I should proceed with this project. The users are very fast at updating these notes, etc, thus my reasoning for making this a faster user experience. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Note: This is ultimately a transfer from an Access Database to ASP.net – a work in progress. If you believe I should take another path for this type of a data-entry web-based site, I am all ears! :smartass:/>

See images below, First picture is the default load webpage, second is after clicking the edit button, last is the current layout that the users operate in via Microsoft Access.

Thanks again!

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image
  • Attached Image
  • Attached Image

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: DataList TextBox Auto Save via OnClick event? Users saving comments.

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: DataList TextBox Auto Save via OnClick event? Users saving comments.

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:16 AM

If you plan on using the textbox for only clicking why don't you just use a button instead? Since by default there is no click event handler for a text box in asp.net
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: DataList TextBox Auto Save via OnClick event? Users saving comments.

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:50 AM

Hello.

Actually, I'm probably going to end up having a "Save" button at the top of the form, to allow users to bulk update.

Before I continue with this project, does anyone agree I should continue down the path I have provided in the screenshots? Basically, I am attempting to transfer the access database to ASP.

Please, let me know your thoughts!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1