3 Replies - 1207 Views - Last Post: 13 April 2013 - 08:43 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

When's a good time to start XNA?

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:38 PM

I've been studying C# for a while now and I really want to get in to game development but I do know that I have to be patient and keep to studying the language first to have a basic understanding. So when would you guys recommend that I start studying XNA 4.0 to make games? What knowledge should I have in the C# language and is there anything I should know going in to XNA? Please and thank you for your response, I'll be waiting to hear back! If there is any other information you need from me just ask and I'll get what information I can.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: When's a good time to start XNA?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: When's a good time to start XNA?

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:43 PM

Sure you can start xna when you feel up to it and can sort of answer "where do I start?" when staring at an XNA book. Now the caveat is microsoft announced they are sunsetting XNA for their new game platform/API with the release of the new xbox/win phone/win8. XNA's not a bad place to muck around in and learn concepts it's fine, but if you are expecting a backed community that's going to the wayside of more hardcore fans.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:49 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 01 April 2013 - 10:43 PM, said:

XNA's not a bad place to muck around in and learn concepts it's fine, but if you are expecting a backed community that's going to the wayside of more hardcore fans.

Like Modi said, XNA isn't bad for getting into Games Programming. I, myself have some XNA programming tutorials, that start from the very basic. So even if you've not got too far with your programming, you should be able to follow along.
Have a look here

The good thing about XNA as well is because it had such a following, there have been some other frameworks create to replace it. There is MonoGame and ANX. They use the XNA framework (Or are very similar) and the games can be brought to more than just Microsoft devices. So there's some good news.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:43 AM

The answer to the question of "When's a good time to start XNA?" is ... 5 years ago. :-) I agree with what Modi said.

XNA is still a great learning environment. In my opinion, the BEST learning environment out there. But Microsoft has abandoned it, and so the community is dying. For now anyway, there are still a ton of great learning resources for XNA. You can learn a ton of stuff that you can then take to more advanced environments and already have a head start trying to learn in more difficult environments.

So, I would say go for it. If you think you might be ready, then get started. Worst case scenario, you realize you're not ready yet. If it turns out you are not ready then you just need to learn C# better or maybe need a more math for more advanced stuff. It can't hurt to give it a try. I'm going to suggest my link's page. That will link you to RB Whitiker's site.

You need to check out RB Whitiker's site because he has free tutorials on C# and also free XNA game tutorials. Plus, he's a great educator. He also has a C# book on the market that I HIGHLY recommend for anyone trying to learn C# or even intermediate C# programmers. It's a beginner book that will take you to a pretty advanced level that I think is well explained.

But just load up XNA and start playing around. Do what you can. And keep studying C# until that is no longer an obstacle in your XNA programming. Now I will tell you that you are probably going to not get very far in XNA if you haven't at least read half of a C# book or gone through a lot of tutorials. But if you're not ready, the only danger is that you will get frustrated and want to quit rather then going back and just learning more C#. XNA has a ton of stuff you have to learn on top of C#; so you really want to have at least a strong, but basic grasp of C#. But there's no harm in jumping in and playing around, and seeing what you can accomplish. Get some step by step tutorials. There are a ton of good XNA books out there. Be aware that XNA 3 and XNA 4 are so different that you really have to know what you are doing to convert one to the other.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1