4 Replies - 959 Views - Last Post: 07 April 2013 - 09:23 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Is there a market for tools for VB 5/6 programmers ?

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

I used to be a VB (1.0,2.0,5.0 pro) programmer about 10 years ago. I moved on to PowerBasic and spent the last 10 years learning to become an experienced WIN32 API programmer. I now developer tools for PowerBasic programmers, but I see there are still a number of programmers writing apps using Visual Basic 6.0.

My question is:

Is there a market for third party developers of tools for VB 5/6 programmers ?

The advantage that I currently have right now is that I work with the low level WIN32 API's (like old time C programmers used to), I have been a long time BASIC programmer (since the CPM days) from early Basics, QBasic, QuickBasic, PDS 7.1, VB 1.0, 2.0 and 5.0 (pro) and now PowerBasic, and I write tools for programmers. I am curious about whether it would benefit the VB (classic) community to create some new tools which cna help VB programmers leverage the more current operating systems like Windows 7 and 8.

So what kind of experience do I have, you may ask ?

The problem with PowerBasic over the years was its lack of GUI features (it currently has them, but they are rudimentary compared to say VB) so I built my own GUI libraries and tools. For example I learned how to build a drag and drop engine so I could build my own WYSIWYG style drag and drop visual designers. I learned how to tap into many low features of the WIN32 API's such as ownerdraw, customdraw, subclassing, superclassing, threads, DIBs, complex regions, customizing common dialogs and more. I then learned how to build a bunch of stuff from scratch like custom window classes such as Turtle Graphics control (vector based), Canvas control (with a 2D sprite engine), MCI control, Property Listbox control, OpenGL based 3D control with built in scripting language.

I also write stuff so it will run on the largest number of versions of Windows from Windows 95 to Windows 8.

So, would it make any sense to use that knowledge to build useful tools for the VB 5/6 market ?

Are there very many VB (classic) developers still out there ?

Is VB (classic) still being used for commercial software or inhouse for the enterprise ?

I have been away from VB for a good ten years now and my latest "foot in the waters of VB" was to download Visual Studio 2012 (interested in Metro app development) and the direction that Microsoft development tools has gone in totally confuses me (what did they do to it ?).

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Is there a market for tools for VB 5/6 programmers ?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Is there a market for tools for VB 5/6 programmers ?

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:20 PM

So, would it make any sense to use that knowledge to build useful tools for the VB 5/6 market ?

Look at some of the ideas here:
http://www.dreaminco...-waste-of-time/

Personally I would say 'no'. If there's VB6 still going on it is mostly maintenance and maybe some franken-apps for legacy systems that people won't give up.

Per MS:

Supporting and/or shipping Visual Basic 6.0 runtime binaries on Windows Vista/Windows Server 2008/Windows 7/Windows 8 does not change the support policy for the Visual Basic 6.0 IDE or Visual Studio 6.0 IDE as a whole. Those products will move out of extended support in April 8, 2008.

http://msdn.microsof...o/ms788708.aspx

I have no idea what your time is worth, but if you are jumping into the VB6 game now .. it seems silly. Then again I can only speak from my time-value and how my current job has nearly phased out all of our vb6 apps.

Are there very many VB (classic) developers still out there ?

Sure.. less than say five yearse ago.. and definitely less than ten.

Is VB (classic) still being used for commercial software or inhouse for the enterprise ?

I would imagine there are folks still schlocking niche commercial apps, and lord knows in-house it's a rat's nest that may never be fully exorcised, but both are typically stagnant
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:41 PM

Someone in a recent thread suggested that VB6 was taught quite widely in their schools - it was a developing country, I think perhaps India. I wonder what happens to those who then pursue programming as a career? Do they abandon VB6 or perhaps there is a market for these skills still.

The Express editions are free, but maybe they are hampered by older computers and OS versions?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:48 PM

If my experiences have taught me anything it looks like they learn VB6 in the schools, then they are picked up by consulting companies, chucked on the bench to learn enough of what ever language is needed (just enough to be able to pepper a conversation with semi-coherently joined keywords), and then sent out into the wild to provide for the company.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Your Friendly Local Curmudgeon
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:23 AM

If there is such a market it would be very small.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1