5 Replies - 552 Views - Last Post: 02 April 2013 - 03:15 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Internet Explorer Compatibility

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:27 PM

I suppose the title is a problem that causes a problem for a lot of web designers. For some reason though, I'm having mega trouble with it.

http://joelkidd.co.uk/velvet

The site looks practically the same in all browsers other than Internet Explorer. For some reason, IE literally destroys the site. This website is for a local bus company and I haven't really been checking compatibility up until now.

Is there anyone that can give me some advice in this situation? I have no idea what is causing the problems or where I can go for help find the problems etc etc.

Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Internet Explorer Compatibility

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Internet Explorer Compatibility

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:44 PM

In IE10 (not compatibility mode) it looks fine.. compatibility mode ... yeah..

As for 'why'.. pull your site up in IE.. hit f12 to pull up your dev tools and start finding where your frames and what not went.. then create another css for IE, add it conditionally, and go about your business.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

You need to install the jQuery library before the (jQuery) cycle plug-in - the error message in the console is "jQuery is undefined". There are links for the various Consoles in my signature.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

Thanks for your help guys. Didn't know about the conditional stuff, looks like a pain in the bum but shall get to it later! :P/>
As for the console stuff, I've done a ton of Javascript so I know a lot about consoles but hadn't checked at all, thanks for pointing it out Andrew. :)/>

This post has been edited by jskidd3: 02 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

I hope we have learned a lesson here to always make sure you check with IE while building so that you are not hit with the realization that everything is broken after you think you are done. I am also seeing a bug in your jquery.cycle.all.js file in both Chrome as well as IE. So you might want to fix that. Probably want to make sure that the file is included AFTER the link to jquery. In other words, you have to link to jQuery first and then the plugin within your header.

As for what I see in IE, it appears the site is fine when ran in IE 9 or above. It looks like you might be experiencing some float bugs when rendered in IE 8 or below document mode. If you have a recent version of IE installed, press f12 to pull up your developer tools. Towards the top you will see two areas where you can set the browser mode/document mode versions. Toggling these will show you what things look like in different versions of IE.

Hope these tips help. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:15 PM

Thanks very much Martyr. That information really helped!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1