Here's the deal:
- We have a form on our website in PDF format.
- Google has crawled the site many times over the years and a Google search results in links to the new version AND older versions of the form.
- There is much drama today because someone submitted last year's form instead of this year's form.
- To prevent anyone from reaching an old form through Google, I've moved all the old forms to an archive file.
- This lead to more drama because now we have invalid links on Google.
- I have now been asked to make the old PDF forms redirect to the new PDF form.
I've done a little Google searching and found that there are ways to accomplish this... but it seems like a really shady, ethically questionable practice to me.
So I'm wondering what the community-at-large thinks... am I overreacting? Should I force PDF redirects at my employers request? Or should I stand my ground about this being a skeevy practice?