• +

28 Replies - 1822 Views - Last Post: 08 May 2013 - 08:52 AM

#1 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Disney closes LucasArts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:20 AM

Snap... I wasn't really expecting this, but after Disney's suit-mouth explained the situation it certainly makes sense, amirite?

I played a whole mess of their games, but after looking at the portfolio clearly I didn't make a dent.

Did anyone have a really large favorite of their game series?

Now if I can find where I put my 'Darkforces' install CD I will be able to start dropping thermal detonators like it's my job.

Disney, which acquired Lucasfilm and LucasArts last year in a $4.05 billion deal, has shut down the legendary LucasArts division.

"After evaluating our position in the games market, we've decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company's risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games," Disney informed Game Informer in a statement. "As a result of this change, we've had layoffs across the organization. We are incredibly appreciative and proud of the talented teams who have been developing our new titles."

http://www.joystiq.c...oses-lucasarts/

Games from their portfolio:
Spoiler

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Disney closes LucasArts

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Disney closes LucasArts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

Lucas Arts used to be amazing, but has really waned in recent years.

I'd say it's because they lost most of their legendary developers who went off to start their own studios and do their own creative thing because Lucas Arts execs seemed more interested in pumping out more and more main stream IPs (ala Star Wars) instead of allowing for the creative freedom they used to push back in the day (fucking Grim Fandango!!!! yeah yeah, I can list more, but Grim Fandango is what I consider their last great ORIGINAL title).

Really though, I don't find this move any more promising. As all it's going to end up being is again pushing their mainstream IPs again, namely Star Wars. The only difference is instead of what is left of LucasArts staff making it, the blame can be pushed to some unknown studio. If it does well LucasArts garners the respect, if it fails, it's the small studios fault.

Yey...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

i was kinda sad about this earlier in the day. then i noticed that all of their good star wars output had already been from licensed games anyway. and everyone who made the adventure games was already off working at telltale and doublefine.

so, the more i think about this the more i realize it's just an opportunity to pitch my rogue squadron game.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:04 PM

I play this out in my mind as a new force sensitive alien is found - something akin to a sloth.. and they pilot xwings like bad asses.

Something like this:

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:29 AM

Loved me some X-Wing and Tie Fighter back in the day. Especially the Windows version of Tie Fighter. No, there wasn't an achievement for destroying every single enemy capital ship on every single mission. Yes, I checked.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:59 AM

I'm still kind of unhappy with it 1313 looked like it was going to be pretty decent, With a smaller and smaller pool of actual nostalgic games growing even smaller was kinda looking forward to it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 Bort  Icon User is online

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:33 AM

View Posth4nnib4l, on 04 April 2013 - 02:29 PM, said:

Loved me some X-Wing and Tie Fighter back in the day. Especially the Windows version of Tie Fighter. No, there wasn't an achievement for destroying every single enemy capital ship on every single mission. Yes, I checked.

No, there wasn't, but it was so much fun :)

RIP Lucasarts. You had slipped from your pedestal quite a few years ago, but will always be remembered with fondness for bringing us TIE Fighter, Monkey Island, Sam & Max, and Full Throttle*.

*As well as many other decent games, but these were my favourites :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#8 DarenR  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:10 AM

I was a kotor fan all the way
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

kotor was bioware though, the only thing lucasarts did was say 'yeah you can make a star wars game' and then collect the checks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 DarenR  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:24 PM

View Postsupersloth, on 04 April 2013 - 03:49 PM, said:

kotor was bioware though, the only thing lucasarts did was say 'yeah you can make a star wars game' and then collect the checks.

well it took their yeah for me to enjoy the game
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:31 PM

good thing that's their only function now!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:35 PM

View Postsupersloth, on 04 April 2013 - 02:49 PM, said:

That's not entirely true. They also named the install directory.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#13 depricated  Icon User is online

• Derpicorn

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

This seems like a good thing to me.

In my experience, LucasArts FALES UDDERLY at game design. The best Star Wars games have been licensed - such as Star Wars Galaxies (prior to it getting cockpunched, anyway - it was great once upon a time). This model would allow good games to be created by people who want to create them, rather than shitty game after shitty game then turning that shitty game into an MMO and failing at that too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:39 PM

POPULAR

View Postdepricated, on 05 April 2013 - 04:32 PM, said:

LucasArts FALES UDDERLY at game design.

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

#15 Bort  Icon User is online

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:41 AM

View Postdepricated, on 05 April 2013 - 11:32 PM, said:

This seems like a good thing to me.

In my experience, LucasArts FALES UDDERLY at game design. The best Star Wars games have been licensed - such as Star Wars Galaxies (prior to it getting cockpunched, anyway - it was great once upon a time). This model would allow good games to be created by people who want to create them, rather than shitty game after shitty game then turning that shitty game into an MMO and failing at that too.

No, it won't. It has the potential to do that, of course, but I don't think it'll work like that. If Disnay decide to make new Star Wars games, they'll approach the studios and give the job to whoever gives them the lowest price to make the game and the biggest return on licensing.

SWG was a truly brilliant game, yet the developers ruined it (Damn You SOE!) because they saw WoW being launched and instantly gaining millions of subscribers thanks to an impressive marketing campaign and loads of loyal followers from previous Warcraft games that SWG just didn't have. So, they dumbed down the professions and combat and tried to change the very nature of the game from open world sandbox to theme park. If you really liked that game and would enjoy the chance to play it again, there is the SWGEmu project which is coming along nicely. It still isn't finished, but it's getting there.

As for the best SW games being licensed, I disagree. Some of the best have been, SWG, KotOR, for example, but others were produced by LucasArts themselves - TIE Fighter (even now, some 20 years after release, it still gets mentions as being amongst the best space combat sims ever), and Dark Forces (I believe was also LucasArts) and the sequels to name a few. Plus that all time classic office time waster, Yoda Stories.

On the other hand, a lot of licensed SW games really suck balls. Look at Old Republic. Severely limiting class restrictions, one (one???? This is Star Wars) ship per class, space combat the equivalent of a 20 year old console game, every alien language sounds the same (or, at least, each one is one of three variants) no matter what the alien is or where they come from. Even with nearly 2 million people joining at launch, it flopped so badly that within a year it was F2P and relying on the in-game store to make money.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +