5 Replies - 7029 Views - Last Post: 08 April 2013 - 05:36 AM

#1 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Heads-up: Functional Programming In Scala w/Martin Odersky

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:25 PM

Just a heads-up for those interested in functional programming on the JVM: Martin Odersky's Functional Programming in Scala is running once again on Coursera. If you're interested, it's worth a go. The course has already started, but you should be able to catch up if you dive in.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Heads-up: Functional Programming In Scala w/Martin Odersky

#2 baavgai  Icon User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Heads-up: Functional Programming In Scala w/Martin Odersky

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:21 AM

Saw the other post and thought about it.

This one pushed me over the edge. All signed up and about an hour in.

Been trying to take the pure functional plunge for a while. Frankly, most of the material I've gone through feels very dated, mostly because it is. Also, I think Lispy languages send me into a parens induced dyslexic fugue. I actually fired up racket last night for one of those roselind problems and realized why I moved on in the first place.

This could be what I'm after for my next language amusement.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:02 AM

View Postbaavgai, on 04 April 2013 - 07:21 AM, said:

Saw the other post and thought about it.

This one pushed me over the edge. All signed up and about an hour in.

Been trying to take the pure functional plunge for a while. Frankly, most of the material I've gone through feels very dated, mostly because it is. Also, I think Lispy languages send me into a parens induced dyslexic fugue. I actually fired up racket last night for one of those roselind problems and realized why I moved on in the first place.

This could be what I'm after for my next language amusement.

Cool, I hope you like it.

I kind of like lisps and their parens, but that might be just a touch of the autistic in me. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 baavgai  Icon User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:53 AM

Damn, all caught up.

The lecturer is excellent. The assignments, less so. They really don't seem to jive as well as they could with the lecture material. The second week assignment seemed more of a fill in the blank kind of thing. However, the videos are still worth the trip. And I generally loathe programming videos. Digging the language, too.

The first assignment is due in two days. So if you jump in now, you can be up to speed with no test penalty.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:44 PM

Don't forget that you are very good at programming. People far less skilled than you have to be able to complete the assignments too. Odersky has also said that the assignments get harder as the course progresses.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 baavgai  Icon User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:36 AM

Heh, I'm not bitching about the difficulty level. I approach all classes as a beginner. It's the only honest way to do it and you learn more.

Week 1: We use basic data types, only Int really. There's recursion ( gotta love those functional languages ) and general syntax. For this week two assignments contain a collection type, List, that has never been see before! The student is told three basic methods from this new mystery type. The assignment was simply not consistent with the material.

Week 2: All that good function as an object stuff. More syntax, more recursion. And classes are introduced! Assignment doesn't touch classes. There is some tossing about of functions, but after you fill in one, you can pretty much see how things are going to go. This time useless unit tests. One of the functions is inversely obtuse. I submit three times to get the bloody thing perfect.

Simply, there is a disconnect between lectures and assignments. In some cases, they might be too challenging for beginners, actually. However, the class seems geared to programmers who want to learn something new, which it nice. This week is more fun classes stuff. One example is a binary tree; knowledge of binary trees is assumed. I'm looking forward to the assignments, which are supposed to be up later today.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1