5 Replies - 18334 Views - Last Post: 06 September 2007 - 06:38 AM

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

What To Do If Your Domain Gets Blacklisted as Spam?

Post icon  Posted 16 August 2007 - 04:03 AM

Ok, maybe this isn't advanced for someone that knows, but I've given up.

Sometime over the course of the last 3 weeks, my domain now goes straight to the junk mail, bulk bin, or whatever protective spam setup that e-mail accounts have. Yahoo, aol, msn, & even some isp & private networks are rejecting mail from my domain. My mail server is located at my facility, I don't forward e-mail from my ISP, everything is done locally except for DNS is performed by EVERYDNS.NET. I also own commercial class DHL service from AT&T, so I know I'm not getting tagged for being a 'domestic' IP address. Never have I mass e-mailed either! Nor can I find my domain or IP on any internet blacklists.

My e-mail worked fine for (almost) a year, & now suddenly I'm being sent to the sin bin (even though Yahoo doesn't filter worth a darn!) & I don't know why. I've not made ANY changes except to some of my own spamassassin rules.

If anyone knows why this would happen, please shed some light. I can provide any details about my network setup, but I don't see why the OS or software of choice would make a difference with this matter.

Help me Obi-wan Kanobi, you're my only hope....

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What To Do If Your Domain Gets Blacklisted as Spam?

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What To Do If Your Domain Gets Blacklisted as Spam?

Posted 16 August 2007 - 04:58 AM

Well if someone else using EVERYDNS.NET (I take it this is a company that simply hosts DNS's for people) was spamming people then that whole DNS Server(s) could get tagged and it will have nothing to do with you. That happened to me a few years back. I was using a company (for the life of me I don't remember who now) to host my DNS and my email server. Someone using the same service was spamming, seriously spamming, and that entire DNS Server(s) were tagged as spammers. Now I just host everything myself :)

I'm not saying that this is what happened to you, but it will cause this behavior.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2007 - 06:02 AM

This happened to one of my clients not so long ago. It's because we'd ended up on a spam blacklist, and it was a complete nightmare for a few days.

You can check serveral major blacklists against domains and IPs at: http://www.mxtoolbox...blacklists.aspx

What to do if you're blacklisted:

Firstly, remove the cause -

In our case, a trojan had found it's way onto a computer on the network, and was happily churning out spam like no tomorrow. When we eventually tracked it down, the creation date and time of the file in question almost exactly matched the date/time we got blacklisted.

It's also possible as PsychoCoder points out that someone else on a shared network could have caused it. It's possible for an entire block of IPs to get blacklisted, for instance if a security vulnerability in your ISP's network had allowed a spammer to use it as a relay.

Either way, it is extremely important you find out how it happened and ensure it isn't going to happen again, otherwise you can get permanently blacklisted.

Next, contact the blacklisting authority -

It was as simple as inputting our IP address; they removed us from the blacklist. However they operate a "three strikes and you're out" rule, so if you haven't rooted out the cause and you get reported again, you're getting ever closer to being permanently blacklisted.

HTH

--serializer
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2007 - 08:06 AM

Thank you both very much, I'll follow your advise.

Thanks again.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2007 - 08:24 AM

I'm sorry for not reading the entire thread so if this has been mentioned, I apologize.

If you are hosting your own site, or even if you are using a shared web host, check to see if the server is an "open relay". You can check this here: http://www.abuse.net/relay.html

If you're an open relay, that's probably your answer. If not, someone may have used your address to send as the "from" address even though it was sent from a different server entirely.

Could be a trojan/virus, or a vulnerable script on your web server (i.e. formmail)

When I was in the hosting business, formmail was the most common reason we'd get black listed. Usually if you eliminate the cause it will take a few days but you'll naturally come back out of the lists or you can submit requests to get off the list. Some require you spend money, just ignore them... while lots of people use those lists, it's not worth the money unless you're a BIG company.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 September 2007 - 06:38 AM

I work for a hosting provider and normally the procedure we suggest:

1. make sure your exchange / mail server is broadcasting your domain under SMTP Masquerading.

2. make sure the IP your mail originates from has a reverse DNS entry of that SMTP Masquerade and not a generic AT&T reverse.

3. Check with AT&T and see if they have a mailhost you can use until removed from blacklisting.

4. Contact the RBL (black listing) companies on removal procedures. You may also check with AT&T to see if they have an abuse department that can submit a removal request for you.

Once you are removed from black lists then remove the mailhost of AT&T and use your SMTP server again. This should remove the blacklisting and make your IP reverse to a valid server, most companies will see this and not blacklist you.

I know AOL and other places use the reverse lookup as a first defense against generic spam, and then they start going into content filtering, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 1

Page 1 of 1